Young carers, any out there?

EcoGeek

Mar 2, 2009
UK
welcome to katie

Hi Katie,

Yeah it is quite suprising how many of us have popped out of the woodwork!

I'm glad you've found us and hope you will find support here. My situation has reached a point where i've been able to slow down and the care of my mum is taken out of my hands, which is good in many ways but it has given me a lot of free time to think about the changes and my emotions have been rather over-whelming of late.
So if you want to talk please feel free to message me :)
I think you hit the nail right on the head with your thought that we have only just gotten to the age where you truly appreciate your parents and then to have them snatched away is beyond cruel.

I also have the added hurdle of studying at Uni in the medical field so I had to sit through a lecture on Alzheimer's disease the other day, not fun!

Hope you are well
Eco

Abelia

Nov 11, 2009
Hello everyone :)
I've just joined so sorry if I reply in the wrong place or something! (would be just my luck hehe)

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's situations, it can be very frustrating and lonely at times being unable to enjoy a social life. Then you feel guilty sometimes for feeling that way.

I'm 19 and my Dad was diaganosed 6 years ago (by that stage he was pretty bad though) My mum had to work full time to keep the bills paid etc, so I had to look after dad whenever I could. I was always so scared about going to school incase he got hurt during the day or went out and got lost! (Once he even went for a walk in the woods without a coat at midnight!)

I've lost quite a few friends as they could not understand why I wouldn't meet up with them and why I was coming in feeling really tired and sad. Most people do not realise that it's not just they forget to do things... But that they forget how to do everything!:(

My Dad got sectioned the week before Christmas 2007 with no warning (because he said his life was rubbish! Well he couldn't do anything :( Poor man) They then moved him to a care home... I still miss him so much - it felt like he'd died as the house was so empty. He was a lovely man, I was very close to him.

I visit him once a week (I have to take that time off college) He just sleeps. Has no idea who I am.

But anyway, sorry for my really long post! You're probably all sick of me now lol. But if anyone needs to talk I'm here :)

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Hey!

I only spotted your post by chance, but here goes. In my family my Mum (79) has alzheimers, hubby mobility/spinal problems (uses a mobility scooter etc), daughter(21) has a few medical issues including RSD (REflex sympathetic dystophy) and son(19) has RSD too. I'm the fittest or theoretically a least lol!. Anyway because of my daughters problems my son was caring the minute he was born more or less. We always tried to make sure he didn't miss out, but I'm sure here and there he did. Anyway I got to here of the Princes Royal Trust for Carers and among other things they had a Young Carers Group. Thuis gave him a chance to get away here and there, and be "normal". Do you know a lot of young carers end up with poor education and criminal recoreds just because no one has identified them as young carers and many are terrifed about speaking up in case thier loved ones are taken into care. Our local group is trying to find a new group in the 18-25 range as they have recognised that younger carers have specific needs. You might find if you got in touch with your local branch of the Princes Trust they have a similar scheme.
Goodluck and never feel alone because of your age, we don't judge anyone by things like that.

CharlotteS

Nov 16, 2009
Bury St Edmunds
Hi

I am 23 and am the only carer for my mum (62) at the moment and I have moved her in with me and am really struggling to deal with all the emotions as I am seeing the changes from day to day its really upsets me to see her deterioate the way she is... yesterday we had the 1st outburst where she was so frustrated and ended up hitting me and pushing my fiance - this was very upsetting for me and feel so guilty for looking into Sheltered Housing for her as I feel like I am giving up but I dont know what to do anymore I struggling to cope with it all as well as look after my 3yr old son.

I feel for everyone on here it such a horrible illness and I wouldnt wish this on any family.

Keep strong everyone xx

VickyH

Jun 25, 2009
Leeds
Hi

Im 25 and up until now have mainly posted on one of the other pages on this website. Its nice (in a way) to be able to read all of your posts and know that im not one of the only young carers out there.

Me and my partner moved in with my Dad almost 5 months ago when his wife left him. Its been a pretty bumpy ride since we moved in as his ex has tried her best to make our lives even more harder than dads condition does.

Luckily we have plenty of care cover for dad as i work full time and would struggle to manage otherwise, although the general arranging of finances, housing etc keeps me pretty busy during my time at work.

CharlotteS - do not feel bad about looking into sheltered housing. I find it so hard caring for my dad and i dont have any children, i cant possibly imagine how much more difficult that is for you. You have your son to think about and im sure if your mother were in the right frame of mind she would tell you the same!

I think ill keep an eye on the younger people section from now on, Vicky x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5