Worsening aggression

Fattywatty

Jun 13, 2016
hi everyone, not posted for a little while as from when mum moved into full time care things have been pretty stable. She moved into care October last year and had just been prescribed Promazine by her GP, this was prescribed for escalating aggression which I couldn’t cope with hence the move to the care home. He prescribed this whilst we were awaiting review by the mental health team as he said it was the only drug available to him to prescribe as her GP and she desperately needed something to help with very severe aggression. Anyhow, she settled really well on this and the move into the care home went extremely well with no real problems. By the time the mental health team came to see her she was settled and happier than she had been for months. They decided this drug was not appropriate and took her off it to be replaced with memantine and she was still fine for a while. Within a few weeks she started showing signs of aggression again so they added an antidepressant. Still no better and the aggression has progressively worsened. They have now put her her back on Promazine on top of the other two new meds. I’m at a loss as to what to think of the situation, after seeing her so settled initially and now to be highly agitated and upset and possibly her place in the home could be in jeopardy if they can’t manage her. Does anyone out there have much experience of the drugs I have mentioned?

CAD

May 1, 2015
My husband is on memantine and matazipine and can still get aggressive , I am looking after him at home which can be quite stressful, at the minute he is wanting to go back to bed if things aren’t going his way. Trouble is he isn’t sleeping at night . Don’t know what todo for the best .

Fattywatty

Jun 13, 2016
My husband is on memantine and matazipine and can still get aggressive , I am looking after him at home which can be quite stressful, at the minute he is wanting to go back to bed if things aren’t going his way. Trouble is he isn’t sleeping at night . Don’t know what todo for the best .

Not looking good then is it! I’m sorry you’re coping with this at home it must be so stressful I was no way strong enough to cope I applaud you for doing your best. I just feel I’ve let my poor mum down and hate seeing her like this. I don’t understand how the mental health team come to their decisions. I’ve had to leave her again today crying and begging me to take her home and after being told by the manager that she will probably need to be reassessed and I’ll have to find a new home for her. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amandalf