Worried both my Mother and Father are suffering from Dementia. . .

MissOwl

May 9, 2016
Hi

Looking for some advise. . .

I'm really worried about my parents. My family have been aware that my father might be suffering from dementia for some time now but he has refused to go and see a doctor. They both have been away for 6 months in Malaysia as my mum is from there and they like to spend half of the year there. They returned this week and we arranged to visit them for the day with the grandkids. On arrival we discovered they BOTH had no recollection of our arrangement even though we spoke to them the day before and confirmed we were visiting but they have no memory of our phone conversation. Part of the reason we were visiting was because it was my mum's birthday and she had even forgotten about that! She also had no idea we had sent cards and presents and we had to find them and show them to her. Even then she said she'd never seen them before!

My husband wanted to help them cut the grass but we couldn't get into the garage to get the lawnmower out as they have misplaced their garage keys, which would've been on a main set of keys. Luckily they were able to get in the house on their return from Malaysia as a neighbour had been looking after the house whilst they were away and had the spares. But there was no sign of their main set of keys. They are now suspicious of the neighbour stealing the garage keys... which is really not the case.

I'm now worried about my mother as her memory seemed pretty good before going to Malaysia, but she was really suffering on our visit. She had some presents for the grandchildren from a member of family and she could not remember carrying them back from Malaysia. I had to help her look for them around the house and even whilst we were looking, she would stop me and ask, 'What are we looking for?' and I would have to explain each time. It's just strange because she even helped our family member pick these presents when they went shopping, but still no recollection.

I'm SO worried about them. It's really difficult because I live 1hr 30min away from them and i can't visit as much as I would like to, especially as I don't drive, have a daughter and work commitments. When my father started loosing his memory I had the peace of mind knowing that he had my mother with him but now she's loosing her memory. I don't know what to do!

I'm kind of glad they have lost the garage keys as it means they can't get the car out of the garage. The idea of my father driving scares me. Just before they left for Malaysia my father picked my daughter and myself from the train station and drove us to their house. We have done this route many times over the last 30 years and he got really lost and confused.

Really don't know where to go from here. We've tried talking to them about going to the doctors but my dad just refuses and gets really upset. He's always been a very independent man. I tried ringing his doctor before he went to Malaysia but his doctor told me she couldn't really discuss him with me. I understand the whole doctor/ patient privacy but what else am I supposed to do?

Would love some advise. Sorry for the long winded message but I feel completely helpless and find it extremely hard to see them like this. Has anyone else had both of their parents suffering from Dementia at the same time?

zeeeb

I would begin by writing the Gp a letter. He can't provide information to you because of privacy, but you can provide information to him. Keep it brief, but give a good idea of what has been happening, and over what period of time. Send one to both of their gps separately so they can be kept on their individual files, Then you have to try and get them to the dr for a cholesterol check up or something. I wish you luck in getting a diagnosis, it sounds like it's going to be tough.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi MissOwl. You'll certainly get lots of support and pointers here on TP. There are many posters who have both parents with dementia and who will be able to offer you advice.
Just wanted to say hi and bump your post up a bit.
Have you got Power of Attorney for either/both of your parents yet? This is one of the most important, practical things to get sorted while you still can.
How old are your parents? Many people get their parents to visit the GP under the guise of a regular health check up (60+, 70+ or whatever). Also, whilst the GP may be unwilling to discuss your Dad with you, they do have to listen to what you have to say (either in writing or face to face).
Good luck and welcome.