Worried because Mom's started hearing things...

Benno

Nov 19, 2013
Redditch
Hi,

Is this part of Mom's AD?

She's been saying for a while now that her next door neighbours are playing music really loud. This has escalated to all times of day and night and Mom's knocked the wall to them at 2.30am last night. She won't let me speak to them saying she'll do it herself. She spoke to them eventually but they've denied it.

The music is Abide With Me, Amazing Grace and now Land of Hope and Glory.

The neighbours are just not the type of people to be playing this sort of music, never mind loudly or at all hours!

On top of that I've been at Mom's on two occasions now when she's said the music had started but I can't hear anything. Today she called me when it was 'going' but I still couldn't hear it even though she held the phone to the wall.

I think she's imagining it, in case you hadn't worked that out!

She's not getting enough sleep and she's become more confused over the last couple of days. She got confused about her meds yesterday saying the second lot are for aster lunch, I explained again that they are for after she's eaten breakfast. Today she said they were her afternoon tablets and she couldn't remember if she'd had them today or not. Again, I've explained they're for after breakfast but I'm getting more and more worried.

She lives in her own home - alone - and has said she doesn't want to go into a home! She's asked me to promise that I won't put her in a home and I've said that as long as the care she needs is within my capability then I will take care of her. But I don't know that she will be safe in her own home for much longer.

Feeling scared. Any advice would be much appreciated.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Sometimes as this terrible disease progresses this happens. It did with my Mum, but not music, voices when she opened cupboards and she also saw things we did not. She said the house was haunted initially. and she became afraid to sleep becuase of the bad nightmares.

Her delusions and hallucinations are now so bad it's affecting her ability to exist safely, so much so she's in a special unit for assessment.

This is the extreme though and probably your Mum won't be like this as only a few people are like this, for example to put it into perspective, 6500 in my city have dementia but only 50 are admitted to this ward she's on, that's how bad she is.

People will of course say test for a UTI, it's an old favourite like an old record and in a lot of cases it's true, in my Mums it never was. Also she could be dehydrated and sometimes when you're tired your mind plays tricks, nothing like sleep deprivation for that, try not to worry too much, perhaps have a talk with her GP who could refer her to dementia services?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I am not sure about the hallucinations but increased confusion could be a sign of a UTI so it would be best if you took her to a doctor for further investigation.

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Hi,

Is this part of Mom's AD?

She's been saying for a while now that her next door neighbours are playing music really loud. This has escalated to all times of day and night and Mom's knocked the wall to them at 2.30am last night. She won't let me speak to them saying she'll do it herself. She spoke to them eventually but they've denied it.

The music is Abide With Me, Amazing Grace and now Land of Hope and Glory.

The neighbours are just not the type of people to be playing this sort of music, never mind loudly or at all hours!

On top of that I've been at Mom's on two occasions now when she's said the music had started but I can't hear anything. Today she called me when it was 'going' but I still couldn't hear it even though she held the phone to the wall.

I think she's imagining it, in case you hadn't worked that out!

She's not getting enough sleep and she's become more confused over the last couple of days. She got confused about her meds yesterday saying the second lot are for aster lunch, I explained again that they are for after she's eaten breakfast. Today she said they were her afternoon tablets and she couldn't remember if she'd had them today or not. Again, I've explained they're for after breakfast but I'm getting more and more worried.

She lives in her own home - alone - and has said she doesn't want to go into a home! She's asked me to promise that I won't put her in a home and I've said that as long as the care she needs is within my capability then I will take care of her. But I don't know that she will be safe in her own home for much longer.

Feeling scared. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi,
Know how you feel mum has "seen" one of the cats visit her when she's been in respite and is currently certain her mum is alive - I've just played along with them as they're both harmless. Lack of sleep is a worry as it makes everything worse - mums always grumpy and harder to deal with then. Try getting her doctor involved and with my mum I got a referral to the PsychoGeriatric unit along with an assessment we got prescribed a anti- depressant to help with the nighttime worries and tears mum had, she sleeps much better now. The meds are also a worry, is there any anyone who can make sure she takes the right ones at the right time ? Mum always confuses hers but I had a carer come in lunchtime to make sure she had them & when she decided she knew best and started taking them before the carer came I got a lockable cash box so only myself or the carer can give them to her. As to safety you can get a free fire safety check for your mum's house plus there's things you can do about gas & electric too or is it her mobility that's a worry ? I live at home tho I'm out at work all day I do worry so got her to have a lifeline which she wears (mostly) at least if she's poorly or had a fall there's immediate response - your local authority should be able to help with that or Age Uk.
Sorry haven't got any idea what to do about the " music" unless she plays her own or has the radio on ? Every new thing is a battle I know but keep strong, I also made a promise to my mum that she would never go into care but I know eventually things will get beyond my ability. Take care.

Trace2012

Jun 24, 2013
This is also my worry, my mam is seeing things aswell and hearing the neighbours sayin nasty things to her! We went on a trip with the neighbours ( me and my 2 sons) wen we got bak she sed the neighbour had been sat there all day sayin he was moving us out and taking over our house, he was actually in flamingo land all day with us! We have an appointment nxt Wednesday with the mental health unit! My mams 64, its hard not to argue back, and to agree makes her worse xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Benno

Nov 19, 2013
Redditch
Thanks for all the advice and support - much appreciated.

As expected I've been told it may be a UTI and to get her checked by her GP. This is despite the fact that she's been hearing this music for about 6 weeks now!

However, I will of course take her to her GP to get checked out.

Off to the doctors myself this morning due to stress and anxiety as well as shooting pains in my head which are worrying me a fair bit I have to say!

No rest for the wicked eh?

Thanks again for all the information.

Andrea x

Blogg

Jul 24, 2014
My Dad has auditory as well as visual hallucinations, it's very frightening for him. Hope the GP appointment goes ok.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl