Working with memory problems

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
when I was working last year I was forgetting things which normally came as habit to me .i do not understand why the manager brought me into a disciplinary meeting and reprimanded me for not remember things.i would have thought she would have been trained to refer me to a occupational health and then I could received help and support.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm sorry to hear this Jorbin. It certainly sounds like that person was either not properly trained or didn't understand the training. Was there no other way for you to reach out?

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
I'm sorry to hear this Jorbin. It certainly sounds like that person was either not properly trained or didn't understand the training. Was there no other way for you to reach out?
No it is a culture of no mistakes are allowed.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Very sorry to hear that. One would have hoped that, in the twenty first century, there would be more understanding and, at least, some attempt to train and support you.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
they should also remember that if they did sack you they might face claim under the disability discrimination laws, assuming they're fully aware of your situation.
Does the company you work for actually have an occupational health department? Not many do these days unless they're very big.
K

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
they should also remember that if they did sack you they might face claim under the disability discrimination laws, assuming they're fully aware of your situation.
Does the company you work for actually have an occupational health department? Not many do these days unless they're very big.
K
Yes they have an occupational health but making mistakes by forgetting things was not seen as something they could support me with.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Very sorry to hear that. One would have hoped that, in the twenty first century, there would be more understanding and, at least, some attempt to train and support you.
I have been in the role for twelve years and knew my job well but when I couldn’t remember things I was disciplined.