working with dementia

miss cool

Jul 20, 2010
taunton
HI just read your last thread all i can say is go girl, we need more people with respect for each person with this illness, we all had a life before AD. respect to enyone who sees us as indeviguals, not just group us up in one lot. love miss cool. xxxxx

pgee

May 19, 2010
London
Thanks, miss cool. I'll keep hanging in there.
Just one small point. I think I left a crucial word out of a sentence. That should not say "nurtured and squashed". It should say "nurtured and not squashed".
Hope that clears up potential misunderstandings.
Love, Paul x

roseplum

Mar 4, 2010
I work in a care home with residents that have dementia and alzheimers.

One of the best ways I find to connect with them is through music. I spend a lot of time singing and dancing with/for them. And bear in mind, I can't dance, and i can't sing! But it makes them smile, sing along, and dance, and if me making a total fool of myself cheers them up, I'm all for it.

I treat them as individuals, I learn who to be a certain way with, what's appropriate for one person, may not be for another. Like someone mentioned being allowed to hug people. I asked this question, one answer I got was no, it's inappropriate, the othe answer was.......if a resident asks for a hug, I can respond, but thay have to initiate. Well, I give those I care for free hugs every day, as like someone said, touch is a big part of communication with those who have a dementia. I also see each person for what they are, and try to uphold what they were, and not see them as someone who has dementia. I do my utmost to give them respect, and I do get close, I do shed a tear almost every day at work. And I miss them when they're gone.

Working in this job is very hard work, very testing......of all my emotions and abilities. Theres no book I can follow. No amount of training can prepare me for what I may face each day. Yes it helps, But I still question my actions and the reason for them, and how I can do it better.

I've had family members telling me they like when I'm on duty as the residents seems calmer, more relaxed. I have no idea why, but I'll just carry on my awful singing and pathetic attempts at waltzing and make everyone happy!:D

pgee

May 19, 2010
London
Hi roseplum
I work in day care with younger people with dementia.
I think the hugging is very brave of you. I've also worked in the past with people with learnng disability.
I think the hugging is very brave of you. Maybe your clients crave that physical contact. I've always worked in situations where there have been issues around physical contact - how much or how little physical contact is appropriate. Also how far you need to maintain boundaries, both for your protection and that of the cleints. But believe in what you are doing. if you see that clients are benefitting from what you are doing then stick to your guns.
Sure, the care industry can be a tough place. But there are always going to be emotional angles to working there. To be truly professional you have to embrace those emotions. But without letting your emotions over ride the job that you're paid to do. Also make sure that you have other things going on in your life away from the workplace. Don't let any of it overwhelm you.
Music should be part of everyday life. Not just an occassional treat. I'd go so far as say that exposure to music is essential therapy for people with dementia. As it is for all of us. Dancing is simply a way of responding to music. You may think you look silly at times. Don't worry about it. If the clients enjoy what you're doing, then that's of far more benefit to them (and to you) than if you spend the whole time looking terribly
serious. But don't lose sight of your professionalism and your dignity. You have to walk a fine line.
None of the clients we work with have had dementia throughout their lives. They are rounded people and have lead full lives. Always look to work with the people. Make sure you enjoy your work everyday. That way the clients will enjoy their lives. Maintain as much quality of life as you can for as long as you can.
Thanks for sharing.
Love and Best Wishes,
Paul x

roseplum

Mar 4, 2010
Regarding the hugging, I know who I can hug and who I can't, every person is different, and some do not respond well to touch. They always show a sign that it's what they want, or it doesn't happen. And it's always a safe hug, never a front-front hug. I am very careful not to overstep any boundaries at work.

I had a fab day in work today, had most residents singing, dancing, or both, and all were smiling. I like to go home at night knowing I did my best.

pgee

May 19, 2010
London
Roseplum, Im glad you had such a great day at work on Friday. Great feeling when you have clients so clearly enjoying themselves and responding to you. Ive been there myself.
Im in Newcastle at present. Did the Great North Run yesterday. That was uplifting too. I got an Alzheimers Society place and am hoping that money raised will all come to my workplace and be spent on enhancing the experience that we give to our clients. I did the run in 2hours 15mins, felt emotional about it all anyway. The support from the locals was an even bigger boost. Ive never been out for a run and glad handed with so many people! Or been on first name terms with so many strangers! :)
Love and Best wishes

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Hello my friend and can i say first of all what a wonderful job you do and long may you carry on doing it. I am 52 with early onset of Alzheimers and i find that music plays such a big part in my life. i have wrote a post about this but dont know how to publish a thread :eek:, i hope you can find it and i hope it helps, keep doing what you are doing my friend, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

pgee

May 19, 2010
London
Thanks Norrms.
I've worked with clients in the early onset of dementia for the past two years. And it's struck me that music can be a massive weapon in fighting dementia. If you lived in my part of the country then maybe you'd be coming to the day centre where I work and attending the music appreciation group that I run. The palpable enjoyment and the positive feedback that people give back to me never cease to lift my spirits.
I will seek out your message on the subject of music and come back to you with my thoughts.
Best Wishes,
Paul

pgee

May 19, 2010
London
Hi Angela
I will look up Andre Rieu right away. Must confess Ive never heard of him. Thanks for the information.
best wishes,
paul

pgee

May 19, 2010
London
cheating shadows

Hi everyone
I realise that this thread has lain dormant for a while. I want to reactivate it as I am about to start upping the ante around my music sessions at work. To accomodate clients who have come along who enjoy classical music. To work with clients who are in the centre at various times, who visibly gain a lot from hearing music. People who struggle to get their words out when they want to speak to you, or who talk apparently nonsensically at great length, but who will pick up on the words of songs by the Beatles (an example from recent days) and will song along to them, word perfect.

The other day I had my first ever clarinet lesson, from a lady with vascular dementia.

"J" who I've talked about on this thread before, is still going strong, still thriving on her music, and a pleasure to work with. Often laughing fit to bust, although I think that much of her laughter is more expressive, and less crazy, than may at times meet the eye.

I want to start a thread - may have to be in the "poetry" area -called "cheat the shadows", which is the name I gave to a sequence of words that I've written about dementia and music. I want to post each set of words in the order that I wrote them, and talk about the words myself and hopefully generate discussion and feedback. I envisage the words as songs to be set to music. I want to seek out someone to record and perform them professionally. Of course, I want some personal gain from them. But I also want them to use them to raise some money to be used by the AS to enhance the quality of life of people with dementia.
Watch this space, as they say.
Best Wishes,
Paul

sharon the cook

Feb 28, 2011
sharon the cook

hi i work has a cook in a home i lve my job all so i lve talking with the ladys i have only been working in this home for few mths now i am going on dimentia courses person centered . there is one lady who shouts hits kicks bits and walks round for hours she has done this two the other ladys i fell she should not be in this home i want understand why she dones this plx help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
London2024