Words of wisdom pleeeeeeez

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
i've had another call to sit or run about for the shift with the lady again (gosh i couldn't have been that bad or they're desparate). i really don't know what to do because now i know what to expect and it's freaking me out. it's on a farm you see and the soul wants to run through the cows as they are standing waiting to get milked and there is a bull in the mix. the farm is busy at the moment with tractors and trailers whizzing about and that's before i even contemplate arriving and possibly heading with her straight for the door oh then dementia/alzheimers follows that. reading that back there it could make for a funny outtake on the telly. oh it's so not funny. somebody pass me a word, phrase or something to set me on my track hopefully without a cowpat underfoot. if you saw this lady you'd love her but she can run like the wind and i'm no linford chrisite.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Oh Marchbank, you are in a fix and I don't envy you this situation. I have to say that saying 'thank you but no thank you' would be kinder all around if you aren't going to take these visits on long term, they will be able to find someone else to get to know the lovely lady.
Sorry I'm not much use, sending you strength and continuing humour, it's the only way through :) Jo

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
my gammy leg makes me scared to commit

i hope my humour in my thread did not make people think i was uncaring, ignorant or flippant. through my personal journey humour helped me and i so know that that is not the case for alot of carers. i was so worried about the pending call as i still have a bad leg since caring for mum, it's maybe sciatic sometimes i think it's stress and that's what's making me not want to commit totally due to the ladies best interests. i spoke to her son tonight and explained the situation and he in turn gave me more insight into his mum and what calms her, i had nothing like that on my first visit, i was totally put into the deep end which is why i let the lady walk and walk. i knew what would keep my mum happy and content it was terrifying saying hello to a family member and being left knowing nothing. anyway the point of the call was to see how i had managed my first visit and would i be willing and i must admit after getting an insight into things that could draw the ladies attention i feel so much better. my first thought and care is that i can be and do as much as i can for this lady and i think talking with her son i may just try again in the future

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Marchbank,I read your thread a while ago,was going to reply but got called away.
You are not uncaring or flippant,it did tickle me though and I had quite a chuckle to myself.:)
You need a sense of humour to get through the ups and downs of life.

I admire you for what you are doing for others after what you have been through.

Now what tips can you share in distracting someone from wandering off,I could do with a few!!!
Good luck,Angela.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Marchbank, hello
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, we had to go to the hospital for my husband's MRI scan this evening. You certainly don't come over as uncaring, ignorant or flippant, that is certainly not the impression I got of you, it was simply my pleasure in finding someone else who finds humour helpful in their lives, I do :)
I'm glad the conversation with the son of the house helped you to clarify some things and it really wasn't fair that you were thrown in at the deep end that first visit. I hope that you feel strong enough to say no if that is what you want, you are under no obligation to visit again especially if it's going to put your health at risk. Maybe if you can take some time to get your leg better that will help you decide.
Anyway, take good care of yourself, kind regards, Jo

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
thanks for your replies

i have decided to phone the son back and to visit when the alzheimer carers are there just to be a fly on the wall. i think i need to see how professionals (although i know we are too)work especially as i found going in blind freaked me. as for ways to stop wandering my darling meemaw loved to watch jeremy kyle and would shout at him shouting at the people, we used to draw swans because she used to live on the river clyde and she loved to answer the kids homework questions to my dismay as she on that score till a few years before she died was quick. she could've done the numbers on countdown better than me. just a quick thing about the humour i know that there are many people caring who can't get or see the humourous side of this hellish disease and i totally get that, i think for me because my kids were babies and we were all under the same roof i had to downplay the dementia to the point where i wouldn't even shout at the kids because that would've affected mums wellbeing and i think that over the years due to one thing and other rather than face the hellish facts it was easier to look for some light relief. anyway that's my excuse and i'm sticking my husband says that i've not to change - i suppose he would have to. was just thinking back to when my sister was ill and she wanted out on the wheelchair which she hated because she said people ignored her. anyway went out and the tyre was soft so we went to a petrol station to blow it up she had been depressed but after that she was roaring with laughter. is it a medicine don't know, maybe. bye for now