Words fail me

perry

Aug 13, 2013
Hello everyone

This is my first proper post on here. I've been reading this forum for a while (since my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's) and found it to be really reassuring knowing that I'm not alone.

Today it's really got me down though, and I fancy sharing if that's okay...

I'm 29 and my mother was diagnosed at the age of 63 (she's now 65). Me and my sister had noticed her memory fading amongst other things for a while, but it wasn't until her second 'memory clinic' test that she got diagnosed. It's great having the diagnosis and knowing what we are dealing with, and knowing that we weren't going mad and seeing problems where there weren't any.
Just before she was diagnosed, her husband left her (not my father). Because she cannot understand or remember most of what happened during their relationship, my sister and me have dealt with the divorce, which subsequently has dragged out for all this time. It's incredibly wearing and tiring, and I am convinced that her solicitor is taking advantage of her condition in order to get more money from her.
It's an incredibly complicated divorce, involving several properties, and has inevitably brought up a lot of past feelings about when my parents separated (over 20 years ago).
On top of that, last year my father passed away very unexpectedly. He was an incredibly reassuring man, and would always be able to comfort us and help out in times of need. So right now I need some help, and he's not here. She needs help and we just have to do all of it, on top of trying to look after ourselves and trying to sort out his estate.
It's so hard talking to people my own age, because they are all seemingly having fun and living life, and I feel like I'm constantly sinking lower and lower with sadness trying to deal with all of this. And her condition is only going to get worse too!

Knowing that there is still so much to do regarding this divorce is a nightmare, and it's only made more difficult by her Alzheimer's. I know it can't be helped, and we're helping her as much as possible, but it's so hard already, and I know that this is the tip of the iceberg, given how young she is.

I hope it's okay for me to vent on here. By no means am I trying to make a pity party, but it's very difficult explaining her Alzheimer's to people who have not experienced it themselves. No one has constructive advice, and if they do try to listen to you, they think less of you for saying how frustrating she can be.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
It certainly is OK to vent on here - thats what its for ... and welcome! There is always advice, and friendship - shoulders to cry on and folks to join in your rants with you.

I'm a good deal older than you (well, 21 years ;)) and very few of my friends, save one who is very understanding, have the faintest idea what this disease is like. Funnily enough my latest post today is about having had a particularly difficult week!

The only thing I will say is if you are struggling but think you are managing, get help before you think you need it (I know that sounds daft) be it somewhere for your mum to go during the day, or someone to sit with her at night so you can go out - I'm sorry I dont know what you have in place already.

I have found counselling incredibly useful to help me come to terms with whats happening to me and my parents (dad has dementia, mum had a breakdown) and although its not for everyone it has helped me.

My local carers centre arranged it for me - they are a great source of help and information so why not get in touch with them?

http://www.carers.org/

Its lovely to 'meet' you - hope to see you here often (but wish you didn't have to come, if you know what I mean)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Perry my heart goes out to you, it is hard dealing with my Mum, I am 52 Mum is 76, but to be so young as both you and your Mum are must be devastating. This is a great place you have found here and there will be loads of people responding to you soon some will sympathise like me others will have some good advise for you. A lot of us just come on here to vent as we know nobody will judge us. There are some other members on here that are in their twenties dealing with this vile disease. I will send you virtual hugs(()) and reassure you that someone will be along with advise soon. Keep posting as often as you need, there is also a section on here that deals with legal and financial issues, so you may get some answers from that section. Best wishes to you and your Mum xx

Ange

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome Perry, you are in the right place for advice and support from the lovely folk on TP. I'm not feeling too well at the moment otherwise I would be writing a lot more, but couldn't pass your post without saying hello.

I'll be back, and others will be along soon xx

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
Apologies to repeat myself directly from a previous thread but...

Very sorry to hear...

I am also 31 (all of 32 next week!!) and find it tough enough dealing with mother in law with AD (due to older hubby...). I also find it very difficult to chat about this with the two tentative friends I have in this new area (recently moved from one country to another - though am officially a Brit), who are more busy having babies and why on earth would they not be - it's only the likes of us dealing with this dementia BS...

If it were my own dear, kind, lovely mum, I would be literally falling to bits...

Please keep posting as a world of support is to be found here.

cheryl k

Sep 9, 2012
Perry I am so sorry to read your post. It must be so very hard for you at your age I can not imagine it being older and having a older parent with alzheimer's. You have definitely come to the right place on TP. Everybody is going through the same thing and can be a wealth of info to help you along. Also, I have had my share of pity parties to help me with each new development and find it helps me cope being ready for what comes next.

Take care of yourself and remember your mom would want you to also.

Cheryl

Lottie134

Jun 8, 2013
So sorry to hear you are dealing with this at such a young age. I'm 52 & it's my MIL that has dementia. I find it difficult to talk to some people at work, others are so understanding. I have to pick my time. Sending hugs to you. Don't forget to look after yourself, you are of no help to your mum if you are I'll.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I am so sorry you are going through all this, especially with you and your mother being so young. By all means let off steam here! The fact is, nobody who hasn't lived with it has a clue what it can be like. Not helped I might add by recent TV ads concerning dementia showing a gentle old soul gradually fading away. No wonder people think, Well, it can't be THAT bad, surely...

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Perry and welcome.

Vent all you like-the more we know about your situation/fears/worries etc the more help you will get.

When you feel like it post again and let us know what care,if any, your Mum is getting from Social Services etc.

Sorry to see you here especially as you and your Mum are so young.

Take care

Lyn T

perry

Aug 13, 2013
Thank you so much, everyone.
It's amazing, the amount of sincere understanding you've all given me is totally overwhelming (in the best way!). I really appreciate it all.

It's so so nice to have finally found somewhere where I'm not ignored or brushed off or told I'm overreacting. Much love goes out to all of you, and I hope we can all get through this. I know I'm not the one who is the worst off, not that it's a competition. AD seems to vary so much from person to person, and varies how it affects people too, so everyone gets ups and downs. I'm just in a huge 'down' slump so far. It's coming up to the anniversary of my dad's death, so I'm pretty on edge anyway.

I'm spending today working on the divorce and getting some legal advice in order to finish it up for my mum once and for all, and then hopefully we can get on with caring for her without this huge obstruction. (And without a horrible ex-husband in the background!)

Thanks so much again, from the bottom of my heart. It's wonderful that this forum exists and that there are so many wonderful people on it. I hope that in time I can be as reassuring to someone else as you have all been to me.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Perry this place has been a life saver for me. When I say to family even who don't understand dementia, Mum hit and punched me today, even a brother asked me what I had done to deserve a beating. Here people understand that people who have dementia often hit out at those who are closest to them, they misread situations, their logical selves have left the building. Here people understand, really understand, not with platitudes but they understand because they've been there.

I am sorry you need TP, I am more sorry that you need it as such a young person, but I am delighted that you have found us.

Welcome.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell