Won't wash

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
John visited an NHS podiatrist (free) every three months for some years.

See you new it already that the NHS have podiatrist

John must of had some illness with his feet ( or can't do it himself because of the dementia ) if that the word to use ( illness) . when I said must need have some illness like dietetics to get it free on the NHS , not just needing nails cut , like you and me just because we don't like doing it ourself

We are thinking on different levels your thinking of where the word come from podiatrist.

Where I am thinking about the different training of the podiatrist & a chiroepodist.

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
So why did he need to see a podiatrist for ? John must of got a referral from his GP to get it free on the NHS

May be they different rules for the elderly people ?

Last edited:

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Hi there again. Just catching up on what seems to be a debate developing over the differences between chiropody and podiatry.

Skye is right when she says the term chiropody was used exclusively in this country till fairly recently, and podiatry seems to have been use everywhere else. Many chiropodists, myself included, have come into the profession later in life as a second (or more in my case) career, and don't have the luxury of being able to go off and do a degree (or another one in my case). I trained with the SMAE Institute who have been training chiropodists since the early 1900's (I believe). The theory part of the course is done as distance learning (like the open university) and it took me 2 years working on it regularly every week. We covered anatomy, physiology, the lymphatic system, kidneys, diabetes, deformities of the foot,skin disorders, padding/strapping etc etc. I then had to do an exam which I passed and was then allowed to go on to the practical course. This gave us 100 hours hands-on training, which I admit is somewhat less than I would have had on a degree course. This then gave me the basic qualification in Surgical Chiropody. There are additional courses I could do which would then give me the full Diploma. It is these add on bits that the podiatrists do on their 3 year course (Biomechanics and Orthotics, Cryosurgery, Sports Therapy). They also become qualified to use local anaesthetics - I can also apply to do this training because I am HPC registered. I haven't done these add on courses because of the additonal cost - e.g. biomechanics/orthotics would cost me around £1000 and in the area I live in I could never recoup the cost. I will eventually study the subject myself and do a 2 day workshop - in the meantime I refer people to their GP or to a private orthotist if they don't want to wait about 9 months for an appointment.

Free podiatry / chiropody treatment on the NHS is very difficult to get unless you are diabetic or on long term steroid use or have some other medical condition making it essential your feet are seen regularly. However, some diabetic patients only see the podiatrist once or twice a year and obviously need their nails cut in between. Unfortunately, being elderly, unable to see your feet or reach them easily, and not having the money to pay for private treatment doesn't seem to qualify for free treatment any more.

So, I hope that clears up a few misconceptions about whether chiropodists are qualified to treat diabetics - WE ARE - and like I said before, chiropodists AND podiatrists have to be registered with the HPC in order to use those titles.

Chris

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks for clearing that up, Chris.

Maybe the free NHS podiatry only applies in Scotland? I don't know. John was referred by our GP, and had/has regular treatment. I don't have it, but then I've never asked for it.

I can still reach my toes, if not other parts!:D

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thanks that does clear it up , just that my mother podiatry told me a different story about the qualification that is needed for a chiropodist compared to a podiatry , from the expression on her face when I ask her if she was a chiropodist it look like she had taken it as an offense:rolleyes: .

However, some diabetic patients only see the podiatrist once or twice a year and obviously need their nails cut in between.

May be its down to post code lottery in England , as my mother see the podiatrist every 3 mouths to cut her toe nails . My mother got an appointment with them on the 24 of this mouth

Last edited:

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
It is likely that many years ago the qualifications to be a chiropodist did not involve a degree or similar, but nowadays it probably does. That is common with lots of professions, e.g. nursing and physiotherapy. Strangely you can qualify as accountant without even a GCSE!

The chiropodist/podiatrist (new term) visits mum's home every 6 weeks and "services" 6 patients at a time. As there are 24 of them, that meant mums toe nails were only being cut once every 24 weeks, so I have had to request she is visited every time. That presumably means that some other resident is losing out. What is the sense in cutting people's toe nails every 24 weeks. Mine need doing every 4 weeks at least. Am I unusual?

Regards

Margaret

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Back again.
Margarita, your mum's podiatrist probably would look horrified at being called a 'mere' chiropodist. There has been a lot of ill feeling within the profession in the last few years between what used to be called 'state registered' chiropodist/podiatrists and the rest of us. In some ways I can understand their feelings, as generally those of us who had 'private' training didn't have the same amount of traditional training as those who had done a degree. However, to my knowledge, when the old 'state register' was created not everyone who got on it had a degree either. They gained registration because they had a certain number of years trouble free practice behind them (i.e. no one complained about them or sued them). These people were then automatically allowed onto the new Health Professions Council - so they didn't have to prove that they were 'competent' to practice.

Many of those who trained at the same place as me also have many years of experience behind them, but 2 years ago, unlike the old 'state registered' people, they were required to go through a very thorough registration process to become Health Professions Council registered. Obviously that was felt to be unfair by some privately trained chiropodists.

I have seen a chiropodist near me who actually has the words 'state registered' on her sign board, which is not allowed under the new rules!! It's clearly a very prickly issue for some who do consider themselves to be better than the rest of us. The HPC is currently auditing chiropodists/podiatrists who apply for re-registration (as we have to every 2 years). This is supposed to be a 5% random sample selected by computer across the country. The local branch of my professional association (all privately trained) has about 100 members and so far 10 have been selected for auditing (i.e. 10%) - how 'random' is that I wonder.

MargaretW - Good grief - only cutting their nails every 24 weeks:eek: I too visit a residential home that has 24 residents, although only 20 of them are my patients. I see some (usually the diabetics or those whose nails grow v. quickly) every 6 weeks, and the rest every 8 weeks. By that I mean that if they are on my 6 week list I see them every 6 weeks etc. The previous chiropodist at this home managed to see everyone on his list in one day:eek::eek: As you can imagine that meant very little time with each person. I spend as long as necesarry with each person as I view it as a social visit as well because some don't have regular visits from rellies. I have been known to spend an hour on one person. Guess I'll never make a good business woman as I don't 'cram' in as many clients into the day as possible, but I'd rather earn less and be happier knowing I've given my patients that extra bit of attention.

Chris

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Guess I'll never make a good business woman as I don't 'cram' in as many clients into the day as possible, but I'd rather earn less and be happier knowing I've given my patients that extra bit of attention.

Good for you, Chris!:)

I wish all visiting professionals took as much care with their patients.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77