Will we all end up having Alzheimer or Dementia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Since the idea that the metal might be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease was first proposed there have been numerous conferences on aluminium and health. The medical research community, international and government regulatory agencies and the aluminium industry all review the evidence at frequent intervals. The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made − at least at present (Massey and Taylor 1989).

Sounds pretty clear.

Now what about computers causing clotting?

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008

Can you explain more, stanleypj?

Are you wanting to read research papers about computers causing clotting? If so, say so.

What may have been written in 1989 may no longer be so clear in 2012. Or may it be? Without ongoing research,that 1989 research may no longer be valid. But you may have researched that, of course, so that it is still 'pretty clear-sounding' to you.

Clotting? Or clots?

There is a difference, even though you can't have clotting without clots, so if you are wanting to find research papers about your own point of interest, you only have to ask and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the appropriate direction.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Remember Camelford.

This may be seen by some as an example, concentrated in time and at the time, but the fact that it resulted in more than devastation, may still be worth considering:

Dated 5th March 2012 -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/14/camelford-case-coroner-water-poisoning

"She had cerebral amyloid angiopathy (CAA) - also known as congophilic angiopathy - and her husband Dr Doug Cross has, for many years, believed the high levels of aluminium she was exposed to in Camelford contributed to her death.

Prof Exley told the inquest the aluminium levels found in her brain were "beyond belief".

The inquest also heard from a neuro pathologist from the University of Southampton, who agreed the aluminium could be linked to Mrs Cross's death."

"Professor James Nicoll said during an Italian study - one of several which have taken place into possible links between the metal and Alzheimer's - rodents were given aluminium in their drinking water over several months.

Scientists found the rodents developed the same rare form of dementia as Mrs Cross.

However, he said that alone could not be relied on and more research was needed.

Technological advances in brain scanning could provide evidence but more funding would be necessary."

More available if required.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
stanleypj, - Which post is troubling you? All of them? Or just the most recent two?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
JPG1 I quoted from the AS fact sheet on aluminum that I was directed to!!

Someone is soon going to come on here and claim that black is really white.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Forgive me - don't know if you're a carer - but I reckon this will be pretty far down on most carers' list of worries!

Maybe in the later stages of the disease it is.

However, people in the early stages of the disease, who are worried about their memory and are awaiting a diagnosis want to be certain that the correct diagnosis has been given. Likewise, their carers.

The April issue of Living with Dementia featured Peter Dunlop, a consultant gynaecologist who gave up his career less than a year after being diagnosed. Dr Jennifer Bute, a GP, had to take early retirement.

A clinician who has dementia, even in the early stages, may not be clinically competent.

Whether they choose to act responsibly and leave the profession is another matter.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
You wrote:

It wasn't me that asked about 'computers causing clotting' - it was you, stanleypj.

All I said was that you can't have clotting without clots.

So, if you want research papers about 'computers causing clotting' you only need to ask. We will then all go and search them out for you.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Oh dear, you haven't read the whole thread have you? It wasn't me who introduced the clotting. It was owly.

Now he appears to have directed me, as evidence, to a YouTube video!

This is doubly surprising in that it's not necessarily where you would look for evidence that computers cause clotting and because, if owly believes that computers cause clotting, why is he looking at YouTube on a computer?

In fact, why is he even using TP?

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Oh dear, I have read the whole thread,

Oh dear, I think you're trying your hand at knitting, aren't you, stanleypj. You just dropped a stitch.

You wrote "now what about computers causing clotting?" With a question mark. That is called asking a question.

Owly didn't ask a question - but simply made a reference.

I don't 'use' TP, stanleypj. You may 'use' TP.

I post here because of my own experience of dementia and the care system in place, in the hope that nobody will ever again need to go through what my relative with dementia had to suffer. If I have even a smidgen of help, that's fine by me; if someone benefits from it that's also fine by me.

If a solution to the problems of dementia comes about via sensible communication on a forum such as TP, that's OK by me. I will defend anybody's right to express their own concerns about dementia, and that includes Owly's reasons for caring about dementia.

I don't ridicule their concerns, as you seem to enjoy doing.

I opt out of this thread as of now.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
What a thoroughly unpleasant post! I hope it's not representative of his other 3000+.

I was unable to respond immediately as I've been in the toilet cleaning my wife up for the third or fourth time today. It's probably just as well that I've had the opportunity to reflect. One course would be to ignore him, as he has announced his departure from the thread. But other people may be following the discussion.

It might have been for the best if the simple and true answer to this question, which was given very early on, had marked the end of the thread. However, we had the long post from owly which seemed to me to be a mix of suggestions for which there is evidence, some which were less well-evidenced, and some which seemed the kind of thing you'd 'learn' from a YouTube video, as one of them turned out to be.

I gave some examples of ideas which were, at best, unproven. We discussed aluminium then I asked about the evidence that electromagnetism caused clotting. This, for some reason, seemed to upset JPG1.

However, we did eventually get the reference to the YouTube video from owly.

For the record, I 'use' TP (a normal usage of the word, BTW, that he chooses to make an issue of) both to get support and advice myself (and it's very helpful at a practiical level) and to discuss questions and ideas which might be helpful to me as a carer and possibly to others.

It worries me, particularly when people first find the forums, that some users quickly rush in with statements that are unproven or untrue. They sometimes write with an unwarranted certainty and this in itself might mislead people who are new to the conditions we are concerned with so I sometimes ask people to provide their evidence or I suggest a qualification.

It's simply not good enough to say that anything that anyone wants to say about the nature of the diseases or the way to treatment, based on their own experience or not, should automatically go unchallenged which is what JPG1 appears to be saying.

Some of the things posted on here can cause unnecessary alarm and anxiety and I when I see them I sometimes point this out. I'll continue to do so. As I've said before, carers have enough legitimate anxieties.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think this thread has come to the end of it's useful life, so I am now closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.