Why is it a 6 month wait while the patient takes folic acid until a physiologist will see my father

Markw1970

Jan 15, 2018
My father in law is now staying with myself and my wife. On a daily basis he is angry doesn’t understand what has been said to him , he doesn’t wash he coughs permanently and expects to be pawed over I’m at my wits end the doctor won’t send him to a physiologist for 6 month apparently until he’s taken folic acid for that time . I really don’t know what to do the cough he has is permanent, he smokes but we try to keep it to a minimum, we smoke so have to hide the cigarettes as he steals them , we are awaiting the results on a ct scan from the hospital this will be his 3rd , he does have copd already but the consultants are saying he has a shadow and that one lung isn’t working properly and also that he needs to see a vascular surgeon? He has lost a lot of weight recently and I’m really concerned as our family has lost the other 3 grandparents in 6 years

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My guess for what it’s worth would be that blood tests show he is low in folic acid and they are giving him tablets to build that up and see if it solves his problem. The only person who can clarify this is his GP. Ask.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH takes folic acid. My understanding is that it doesnt so much boost brain function, but that if you are low in folic acid it can reduce brain function. - when you start taking folic acid and replace the amount lost, then your brain improves again.
Obviously, if you are not low in folic acid then taking extra wont make any difference.