why i need diagnosis?

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Hi to everyone that replied!

I understand most of your points here and agree I dont need a doc to tell me its dementia but I want to leave here and move to another county to have some sort of a life??
the only reason i found myslef living with my mum is that i had a slip and fall and was badly injured and am waiting for compensation 4yrs now? this will now go ahead in oct this year so i need to make sure my mum is ok and gets the care she needs.

Unforutnely I have an incredibly SELFISH family who think she is just depressed and are demading a diagnosis??

I need to be able to leave here with peace that mums well looked after ie put her house up to pay for her care?

Obviously this needs to be discussed with family so im sure you can all see now why this is urgent.

there is so much to organise and get help on that time is of the essence for me if not and things arnt sorted before my court case ive been told by my doc to walk away as my health is getting worse he said im heading for a breakdown and that the other family members have got to get involved.

Ive been through hell with my siblings so this diagnosis is important when youre dealing with a very thoughtless family.

Once shes professionally diagnosed they will have to wake up and smell the coffee and hopefully apologise to me for treating me like ****?? but thats not important its my mum and she needs the best of care.

We are lucky in a sense that she owns her own house as i want her to go into a very nice private home and her house will cover that she worked bloody hard to keep this house and she deserves the best of care.

As many of you are aware not all family members think the same and money seems to come into it if I dont control what happens here they would be quite happy to let her go into the state run home which would be free but the care apalling.

I have several friends and neighbours who chose this paricular home and said their parents were VERY well cared for have heard nothing but good reports and just want the best of care for my mum.

Please dont get me wrong there are some great state run homes but just not in this area and I want my mum in a familiar area.

I have even broght my mother to this home to visit and she was very impressed,they even have a little hair salon!! a small bar and a small chapel.

We could never afford this but my mum can even if she would rather die than hand over her house to a nursing home??

She wants us to have the house when shes gone but this is not realistic now at this stage.

My mum has had no life for over 4oyrs no friends no social life basically no life since she left my father she has had it tough financially and now that she has an asset its only fair she use that to have the best of care.

So you can see now why this diagnosis is important also im sure many of you thought you were the ones going nuts?? I still feel like this as my mum can be so NORMAL when talking to my siblings and thats why they cant undertand what im on about.

My mum has 2000 in savings this will have to go towards her tests and the family who wnat this diagnosis will just have to understand that.

The next few weeks will be hell for me but im doing the right thing and thats all I have to cling onto if the family dont wake up and give me the help I need then I will walk away. Although my mum is not well she has a nasty stubborn side to her and she will not go into a home of her own accord AND the fact that she is not safe here alone we may have to make her a ward of court and this is what i have nightmares about forcing her into a home against her will because we will not get fulltime care here maybe a carer calling in 3 or 4 times a week?? Its the nights that I worry about shes not safe and if something bad happended to her here alone I would never forgive myself!
Thanks for all your support when im stressed and shaking from head to toe with nerves this site calms me down!!!!!!!!!:D

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I personally would question whether it is fair to spend the last of your mum's life savings on a diagnosis she doesn't want, so you can leave her in a home she doesn't want to be in.

Sometimes we have to do things that are against the wishes of the person with dementia and its hard but should only be done when its absolutely necessary for them, in their best interest.

I think you do need to discuss this with your siblings by letter if that is the only way to communicate. You say your Mum would rather die than lose her home, she is still at the stage where she has periods of lucidity with her other children I would ask myself is now the right time to sell her home. Is this really in Mum's best interest?

I have had hell from two of my siblings so family conflict is something I have a huge amount of empathy with but it does cause me to take a long hard look at myself and ask myself is what I am doing really in Mum's best interest or just to make my life easier. Two siblings are selfish, nasty people, but I thank them for making me question my motives so I can be clear I am acting in Mum's best interest at all times.

Perhaps one of your siblings will take over the caring role when you leave? Perhaps the property could be rented out and the rental used to cover the home fees, perhaps she can still be helped to stay in her own home with carers visiting?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband started with vascular dementia about 15 years ago he was finally diagnosed about 5 years ago it has changed nothing, we were told nothing could be done he would just get worse and he has seen no-one about it since,

Best wishes Jeany x