Why forgetting things is OK – and shows your brain is working properly

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
'The experience of ‘natural forgetting’ (like the name of your cat or where you put your glasses or car keys) happens to us all, and can become more frequent as we age because, like the rest of the human body, our senior selves do not always function as efficiently. But unless there is something more serious going on – like dementia or trauma after a head injury – scrabbling around for a recollection of, say, a past holiday destination or the whereabouts of your wallet is all part of living in a busy and complex world. '

2024-03-16_130315.png

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...why-forgetting-things-brain-working-properly/ .

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I increasingly have an auto retrieval function.
If, for instance, I can't remember the name of a plan the name suddenly arrives some time, maybe hours, later.

It's not new, work colleagues used to tell me a problem at going home time, sometime in the evening a possible solution would pop up ready to take into work the next day,

Neocortex tidying everything up?

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I increasingly have an auto retrieval function.
If, for instance, I can't remember the name of a plan the name suddenly arrives some time, maybe hours, later.

It's not new, work colleagues used to tell me a problem at going home time, sometime in the evening a possible solution would pop up ready to take into work the next day,

Neocortex tidying everything up?
This reminds me of when I do a cryptic crossword (I stick to the easier ones). I can be looking at a clue for a while and the answer completely escapes me. Next morning - first look and the answer's obvious.

Neuroplasticity is an interesting phenomena. You can actually (apparently) change/grow different parts of the brain.
The example that's sometimes given is London black cab drivers. As a consequence of learning all the routes (doing 'the knowledge'), their hippocampus was found to be bigger than the general population.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
Thanks, this is reassuring. I think most people worry that they may have dementia when they can’t remember something.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Is it worrying that I often can't recall what I did the day before or is my life just boring?

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
Is it worrying that I often can't recall what I did the day before or is my life just boring?
My excuse has always been, I wrote down the date , every day for 40 odd years of working so as long as I don’t miss an important appointment it’s ok to be a bit flexible 😀
I have to say that my usual routine after waking in the morning is to think to myself, now what day is it and do I have anything important to do.
I think I need a new brain, this one is full.🤣.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayne Oswald