Who to do LPA

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
We need to do an LPA for our mom. Is it best to go with a solicitor (very pricey), age uk, or an legal executive. We cannot do it ourselves as we have no-one who can be the guarantor as we do not know anyone who has known mom for the two years anymore. We don't want to ask our neighbours as we feel it is a legal responsibility they may not want to take on.

Mom is quite happy for us to do the LPA but we just don't know where to get it done.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
we have no-one who can be the guarantor as we do not know anyone who has known mom for the two years anymore. We don't want to ask our neighbours as we feel it is a legal responsibility they may not want to take on.

In that case you will have to use a skills based person to certify rather than a knowledge based one e.g. solicitor or medical professional.

A qualifying neighbour would only have to sign that, at the time of signing, your mom fully understood what she was doing and was not being coerced in any way, there is no ongoing responsibility.
The only come back could be if the LPA was contentious and challenged, the neighbour might then be accused of being in conclusion, this is rare and only can happen if there is contention in which case it is probably better to use a skills based person to certify.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
There is this expression: don't ask don't get. A neighbour who has known your mom quite well for a number of years is exactly who you'd want. All they'd have to do as a certificate provider is to confirm that your mom knows what she is signing and has not been put under duress to do so. That really is all.

Solicitors charge for every little thing they do so if you can avoid them I would try to.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I got my partner to sign and the doctor.
Haven't got it back yet but have received the letter saying they are notifying everyone (just mum and me)

Couldn't see anything that said he couldn't sign. Did read everything twice.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Do it yourself, with her GP as certificate provider. (or memory clinic) The GP may charge for this service.

Bod

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You can use anyone with a professional qualification to sign the form. An Independent Mental Capacity Advisor (IMCA) is the obvious one or an independent social worker and there are others.
Both will do an interview of you both together and alone and if all's well sign the forms.
You can google for an IMCA in your area or check out that, if like the area I live in there is a free service. I have a local drop in centre, LA funded but not part of the NHS or social services that supplies services like this as well as an advocacy service and benefits advise all for free.
Back in the early days the consultant advised me to get an LPA for my wife, I'd no idea what it meant, she explained it all told me where to download the forms and said if I sent them to her she'd sign them. She said this after she'd asked my wife if she was happy for me to look after the money side of things and attend doctors/hospital appointment and the like, my wife agreed, job done. No mention of any charge was ever made so at the time I just assumed that was how it happened, now I know a GP/medical professionals can charge if they want but that doesn't mean they have to.
K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5