Who benefits from Alzheimer's drugs

Who benefited/benefits from Alzheimer Drugs?

• Prescribed Aricept

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Prescribed Reminyl

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Prescribed Exelon

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Prescribed Ebixir

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Prescribed none of the above

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Did not take any of the above because of NICE guidelines

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pay/paid for any of the above privately

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Was/Have been taken off any of the above

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Stopped taking any of the above because of side effects

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • The medication appeared/appears to be beneficial [in family's view]

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
My wife's signs of Alzheimer's showed when she was 60. Died at 73. At no time was I informed about any medication for the condition. Only when I came on the internet about two years ago did I discover about these drugs. By the time I asked a Doctor (never discovered who her GP was) I was told it was too late for her. Most people keep looking for a cure, some magic pill. On reflection I feel I just went along with the illness and kept learning how best to keep the both of us happy along the way. Life is made up of positives and negatives. All we can do is reach for the stars, we wont touch them, but we sure as hell can try. Hang in there and have no regrets. I wish you all well. Padraig

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Sylvia, would have like a question concerning the patient who refused to take the drug,

Dee is refusing point blank to take the capsule from me but some carers can get her to swallow it and retain it

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Cliff, when Lionel started to refuse to take his meds, the care home arranged for them to be supplied in liquid form.

Just a thought.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry Cliff, this is the problem with Polls, getting the right options.
We were thinking this subject would really warrant more than one Poll, but the more you think about it, the more complex it becomes.
If my recollection is correct, Dee is not the only one who refuses medication.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Placebo effect?

I will never know whether mum's 'great fortune' in being prescribed Aricept is the main factor in her presenting now far better than some two years ago - or was it taking her off Diazepam? (Long term anxiety and depression long before dementia was finally diagnosed ........ ) More stimulation once she was persuaded to accept day care/ buddying? Combination of all perhaps?

Placebo or not ..... I believe Aricept seems to be playing some part ..... if mum hadn't been fortunate enough to secure it on prescription I would 'beg, steal or borrow' to secure it for her .....

Not sure if that's of any use, Love Karen, x