Where to start - incontinence

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I am now convinced after three weeks that my mother is now completely incontinent and it is getting expensive buying supplies from the supermarket and online.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to get help. Should I go to the GP and ask, or is there another route? I guess the GP carries more weight to get things moving as I believe it can take a long time, anything up to three months to be assessed - can this really be right?

Any pointers/advice would be most welcome :)

Margaret938

The District Nursing service should be able to help, you should not have to pay for these pads yourself. The Continence service should supply your mother with these.
I am sure there are other members on TP who will be able to point you in the right direction.
Good Luck
Margaret

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I spoke to the practice nurse at my surgery and within a week I had an assessment from continence clinic.

As my husband is not very mobile they came and did a home visit, and gave various suggestions.

Samples were sent to me to see which I preferred, and then when I chose I got a 3 month supply delivered to the door, and a telephone number to ring for future supplies.

The number of pads is limited, but was always adequate for me.

As the incontinence became worse the original pads were not absorbent enough so I telephoned the clinic, and different samples were sent for me to choose.

I duly chose the ones which seemed right. Once again delivered to the door.

However now my husband really needs the pull up pants and these cannot be issued on NHS at least here in Hertfordshire.

I just buy them now and you are right they are not cheap.

Jeannette

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
OH HELLO!!!!!!!
my mum gets a huge box that I have to pick up every month with "INCONTINENCE PADS" written on the box.

my bro drops me in and have to get him to park as close as is safe to the door!!

Im sorry but im not walking through my small town with this big box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no sorry I draw the line!!!!!:eek:

But my mum does get them free!!

Shes just walked by me and hers is hanging down her pyjamas I need to get those pull ups someone mentioned.:D:D

Yep she wears them no underpants THEN throws them out the back window into the garden!!!

WHAT A LOVELY DAY AND THE ANTICIPATION OF THE NEW BABY TO THE THRONE!!!!!!:D:D:D

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Thanks all, I have spoken to district nurses office and someone will ring me at some stage.

Jeanette, the pants are good, but not only expensive and if you need to change them it means everything off - slippers, trousers etc to get the next pair on, what a faff in a small room and mother very cross about anything to do with that room.

I need to re-design this house!
It was in theory built for my parents old age, well no one thought all this through :eek: never mind got to keep going:)

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I agree about the changing, However I am lazy. I get the very absorbent ones and only change morning and evening unless there has been a clear accident.

I do wash him thoroughly each time, and put almond oil on his bum as a moisturiser, but as I say generally only once in morning and then again before going to bed.

He does not have any sore skin in that area.otherwise I might do it more often.

The reason I use pants is because he still tried to go to toilet, and with the pads, he used to fold them down as he sat ( he always has to sit as he is unstable, ) Therefore the waterproof side gets tucked in and he urinates on the outside of the pad thence wetting his trousers, etc .etc.

My husband urinates ass he stands and aas he walks, this is due to prostate cancer, so it is a constant drip.

Jeannette

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
It is bad enough that this rotten disease robs you of your mind but your dignity too.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I just treat it as a symptom of his illness, and he accepts it. If he ever says anything I always say it is something that neither of us has any control over and it seems to make him feel better.

Jeannette

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I'd love to leave the pants on all day - they are brilliant for the night, but mother seems to have become double incontinent, is that how you say it?

She let on last night when she was cross being taken to the loo before bed that she "isn't supposed to do that here, I do it down there" gesticulating towards the sitting room and her chair!

Thinks to myself "yes, you seem to do it down there, but this is the right place..." how has this have happened in only three weeks???:eek:

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
any chance of those little nappy liners that used to be about when my children were babies. It was a wide strip of special cloth which fitted inside the nappy and you could just change that if it was soiled????

Of course you can't really leave pants on when you know they are soiled. My husband has not reached that stage yet, although he does have occasional accidents.

I have just thought there is a product by T..a which has wings and fasteners like a nappy. I did buy these by mistake once, and these might be available through NHS. The only problem is that I do not think they pull down, so if the person wearing them still tried to go to toilet then I think it would need another person to help.

My husband goes to toilet about once an hour, not that he does anything, as it is all over by the time he gets there, but I would never stop him from trying.

Jeannette

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
any chance of those little nappy liners that used to be about when my children were babies. It was a wide strip of special cloth which fitted inside the nappy and you could just change that if it was soiled????

Jeannette

Nappy liners are still available.http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-nappy-liners-x100/212-9551.prd

Mum is a right wotsit for resisting the loo, she has Tena Flex pads, boosted with a plain folded up with flannel inside to add to the absorbency. White cotton flannels boil very well and are cheap enough to chuck if they get soiled

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Thank you herefordshire for providing free pull up pants for mum, that is one problem i haven't had to battle to solve.
We take mum to the loo three times a day, after breakfast, afternoon and when she goes to bed, just sit her on it and hope for the best. She manages to go most times. Dad does not give her a lot to drink which is another battle for me but one i have lost many many times over, and so has the GP and the care home and my sister.
Does anyone know if there is a frame that you can put round the loo that mum could hold on to while we are dealing with "other things" and that would guide her down to the right place too? She has fallen off a couple of times by sitting down before she was on the landing strip so to speak.

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I have one on those raised loo seats on a frame, so has handles one either side for her to hold on to. It came from Mediquip after hip op. Ask if you can get an OT to come and see what equipment you might need - or does this only work after release from hospital? I don't know :confused:

My worst thing about it is that due to the wee room being quite wee and navigating round the front leg is pretty challenging :(

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I have one on those raised loo seats on a frame, so has handles one either side for her to hold on to. It came from Mediquip after hip op. Ask if you can get an OT to come and see what equipment you might need - or does this only work after release from hospital? I don't know :confused:

My worst thing about it is that due to the wee room being quite wee and navigating round the front leg is pretty challenging :(

In this area the ots will come out if you are referred by your gp, not after release from hospital. We have big mobility problems (nothing to do with dementia, just added fun) and they have been marvellous. We have gone from 'not in a million years' to 'ok I suppose I do need it' and every time they come without complaint.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielf1