Where can i turn to for physio help/advice?

Ardlife

Jun 9, 2013
I live and care for my mother 78 with dementia and riddled with arthritis. Recently after 4 weeks not opening bowels admitted to hospital. They cleared her out within a few days but kept her for 6 weeks whilst organising a care package (common story). Finaly rather than waiting longer for a 2 person care team each visit i agreed to be the 2nd carer.
My problem she went into hospital able to walk /shuffle with a frame at least from 1 room to another albeit in pain but she could walk. Now she can't even get out of her chair and we are using rotunda for transfers chair - wheelchair -bed and using a long term cathater for toileting needs as she has been incontinent for a couple of years now. WHY has she lost ability to walk and who can i contact to get her back to walking. Her GP has requested help from some emergency physios but that only lasts 21 days if they accept. Does anyone know of any organisations i can turn to for physio help/advice in the home?

gillou

Jun 9, 2013
France
I live in france so not the same system, sorry I can't help with your question. Would just like to say my GP is very against sending elderly people in to hospital unless it is life threatening for the reason that people go into hospital able to walk and fully continent and come out in a wheelchair with a nappy. Hospitals don't have the staff to look after the elderly. My friend who is a nurse in a care home says the same thing, she sent a patient to hospital after a fall and the patient came back with bedsores after 2 days!
I suspect we are all grateful for the respite when a loved one goes in to hospital but we must all be very wary of leaving them for longer than absolutley necessary!

Ps My mil went into hospital in October last year, fit in body if not in mind and came out three months later shuffling, aggrophobic and unable to feed herself !

Ardlife

Jun 9, 2013
Update, feel let down by nhs. Who knew dementia affects joints?

Got the rapid response physio.
Since hospital mum can't lock her knees due to osteo arthritis and unless can cut that pain then physio will not work. Her GP would not prescribe anything stronger than paracetamol and ibuprofen and because of age and dementia and use of general anesthetic surgery on knees is not an option so in end physio got community hospital consultant to take this on. Things looked positive.
He prescribed co.codamol and a week later tramadol and then few days ago doubled tramadol but she has no pain just sitting it's when she is moved, so she needs something for the chronic pain on moving not all day. Now been told nothing more they can do and will be discharged BACK to gp. So after just over 2 weeks they have given up. I enquired why she lost ability to stand when in hopsital and told it's probably the dementia. Who knew dementia affects joints?
Flowchart for dr
Give drug A has it worked?
No- give drug B has it worked?
No- double drug B has it worked?
No- discharge then its no longer your problem