When is the right time ?

Worried Milly

Feb 19, 2009
I can't believe its almost a year since I was on here. So much has happened and time just slips by so horribly quickly.

My 62 year old husband is now showing 6 on the MMS scores and they think he is developing PCA. A problem with the back of the brain whereby he is starting to not recognise things he sees. So a flight of stairs is not a flight of stairs necessarily etc. It is very mild right now and I notice more with him trying to see the glass sitting right in front of him.

he is in wonderful day care 4 days a week so that I can work and I work from home on a tuesday when he is with me.

Unfortunately it appears that his day care centre might be closing and if this happens I just dont know what to do. they work from 8am to 6pm and no one else does that to allow me to continue to work.

He is not ready to go into a care home - but what do I do if I cannot get him into day care and I cannot afford to stop working. Two of my children are still at university and we have nothing put by as Pete was so young when this started.

What do I do ... when is the right time to go into care and how would I even think of putting someone who is so young into care even if I could ?

Just so confused. Feel like I am always running to catch up - cant plan or be pro active in any way.

Please .....Thank you. Milly

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Milly, this is an awful dilemma, I hope you can talk to someone from social services about this as it certainly isn't right that he should have to go into a care home when you want him at home still. As it is all getting on top of you, or so it seems, I would advise ringing your local Alzheimers Society and it might clarify some things such as the rights you and your husband have.

As you can probably tell this is beyond my knowledge, but I want you to know that you are not on your own with this, keep posting here and you will find help even if it takes a little while.

Pippa x

seaurchin

Oct 24, 2009
Hello Millie,

I am sorry to hear that the day centre your husband attends may close.

Can you seek Direct Payments to provide home sitters for your husband whilst you continue to work as an alternative? At my carer's assessment I was advised that I had a right to work and these arrangements were made for my husband and I am still able to work. I have found this system really helpful and at the moment is keeping my husband out of a care home. We were lucky as they were offered to us and I didn't have to fight for them.

I hope you find a way forward with this.

Kindest regards,

xx

Worried Milly

Feb 19, 2009
Thank you.

Thank you - to know that Social Services might accept a different system other than a day care centre is a help. I will get onto them and see what the future holds.

Thanks.
Milly