Wheelchair advice needed

Corriefan

Dec 30, 2012
I would like to take my mum for days out to places like city farms and gardens etc and had the idea that a foldaway wheelchair would make this possible.
Mum has vascular dementia and lots of other health problems. She can walk but not far at all and gets exhausted very quickly. It would mean that she could go to a wider variety of places instead of just coffee shops all the time.
Does anyone know of anywhere where I could get a fold up wheelchair or maybe a second hand one at a reasonable price? Thanks everyone.

Dunkers58

Nov 9, 2013
Hampshire
Many areas have 'mobility' shops, which sell scooters, wheelchairs and other equipment e.g walkers. Maybe your local Age uk would be able to point you in the right direction. There are quite a lot of choice out there with different weights, sizes etc and ofcourse prices!

Corriefan

Dec 30, 2012
Many areas have 'mobility' shops, which sell scooters, wheelchairs and other equipment e.g walkers. Maybe your local Age uk would be able to point you in the right direction. There are quite a lot of choice out there with different weights, sizes etc and ofcourse prices!

Thanks also Dunkers. I was hoping to get a light one that would hopefully fold away. We live in quite a small house and there is not a lot of space really.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Lloyds Chemist have a brochure that have a wide range of affordable wheelchairs, you may also want to call your local city council, ask for social services adult care and then ask for an assessment. Your mum may qualify for one to borrow for as along as she needs it for free. Mum qualified for one that you have to push but we bought an electric one too to give her more independence. Then you have to think about ramps into the property. The electric one is too heavy for me to get it into a car so have a light weight one too that we had to buy.

Not speaking as a moderator or on behalf of the AS to be clear, just from personal experience as a carer. I find my local disability shops to be unscrupulous and have sent a couple on their way unceremoniously. That is not to say all mobility shops are the same this is just my experience sadly.

My sister bought a lightweight second hand one but the previous owner must have been doubly incontinent and that was a total waste of money as the smell was overpowering.

I'd have a look at Lloyds and others to compare the prices and quality.

First of all I'd get her assessed by social services adult care to see if she can get one to use for as long as she needs for nothing.

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Corriefan, I loan a wheelchair for my mum from British Red Cross,they require a deposit of £20,but you get that back when you return the wheelchair.
You can loan it out from 24 hours to 1 month

Val

xenaxs

Jul 29, 2013
Hi..
Argos has lightweight wheelchairs for around the £100 mark . Otherwise ask your local social services/ care direct to assess your parent for a free one but this takes time so may be easier to just buy one if this is an Option.
Good luck.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Ty Amazon UK
My son bought a very sturdy light weight wheelchair for me recently
about £85
Folds up small enough to easily be carried in boot of a small car and is acceptable by coach firms on day excursions
Best of luck
jimbo 111

whetstone woman

Feb 18, 2014
Does your mum have any armed forces connection such as her self or your father doing service? If so a military charity may buy a wheelchair for' her subject to ot report etc. Ssafa are the charity to go to to sort this out

Sent from my MZ604 using Talking Point mobile app

Johnno

Dec 26, 2013
Exmouth, Devon
I would like to take my mum for days out to places like city farms and gardens etc and had the idea that a foldaway wheelchair would make this possible.
Mum has vascular dementia and lots of other health problems. She can walk but not far at all and gets exhausted very quickly. It would mean that she could go to a wider variety of places instead of just coffee shops all the time.
Does anyone know of anywhere where I could get a fold up wheelchair or maybe a second hand one at a reasonable price? Thanks everyone.

Hi Corriefan,
As your mother cannot walk far she could be able to ask for a NH wheelchair. She would have to be referred to a mobility centre.
My wife who has Vascular dentia and cannot walk far just like your mum has recentlly received hers. It folds up and I can get it in our estate car. You should ask your GP who can advise and direct you. Johnno

Corriefan

Dec 30, 2012
Thanks again everyone. Sorry not to reply sooner. The only worry I have with getting one off the Internet is if it turns out not to be suitable. Also I am not sure how easy it is to fold up wheelchairs as I have never really used one before. Would I need someone to show me. When I spoke to the local disability shop they said wheelchairs had to be tailored to suit the person's height and weight etc. My mum is of normal weight and only 5 feet six inches tall. The NHS wheelchair idea is quite good Johnno. Is it a decent chair and not too heavy? Noorza did you mean that sometimes these disability shops tell you that you need to pay a lot for this sort of thing when actually most chairs will be fine for people of normal weight. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77