What to expect

Sunshine11!

Feb 11, 2022
Mum is in a good but costly care home. My father is still alive. They have been assessed as needing to self fund. We have a feeling however that the care home funding is coming from dad - shouldn’t it be coming from mums finances?
Also, what will happen to the funding should dad die before mum, whilst she is still in the home?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes the funding should be based on your mums money , so that’s any savings over £23,500 any works pensions and any other income. If your parents have joint savings then 50% is considered to be your mums.
Your dad shouldn’t be paying for her care out of his own money.
Should your dad die before your mum, if there is no will, then his estate will go to her including any property. Depending on how that is owned then she will become self funding in her own right and the property will need to be sold to fund this. If there is a will then the usual thing would be for his estate to be bequeathed to her.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
Mum is in a good but costly care home. My father is still alive. They have been assessed as needing to self fund. We have a feeling however that the care home funding is coming from dad - shouldn’t it be coming from mums finances?
Also, what will happen to the funding should dad die before mum, whilst she is still in the home?
Yes, your Dad should not be paying anything at all from his funds, unless he’s paying top-up fees. I’d be inclined to check the Financial Assessment documentation and see what they’ve taken into account. If it turns out your Dad is paying a top-up, it needs to be clarified how much and when.

Sunshine11!

Feb 11, 2022
If money is bequeathed to mum she would certainly not have the capacity to make decisions regarding what happens to it. What happens then?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980