What stage would you say? of lewy body dementia

bazo

Aug 8, 2013
Southend
Hi

Can someone help clarify what stage you think my Mum is at? She has been immobile and bed bound for last few months (she used to use hoist but bloody carers whacked mum on head now refuses to use it) her right arm tremors and her hand clasped shut. She has had problems with swallowing and can chat but sometimes the words are wrong or wont come out. She is sometimes incontinent. She does still eat/drink. She cries all the time

I know the stages overlap but I don't know perhaps naively if she will wake up worse or its a gradual process? We have carers coming to change Mum 4x a day.

Thanks for reading,

Bazo

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Bazo,

I'm afraid that probably no-one can definitely say what stage your mum is at on the dementia timeline.

It is usually thought with LBD that it tends to plateau, then drops suddenly in comparison to Alzheimer's which more often has a smoother decline. But as you'll also know all too well, LBD fluctuates, with its good times and bad times, unpredictably.

But the physical decline is usually what gives the greater problems, with the risk of infection being greater with less mobility and the swallowing issues.

Might it be possible to treat her crying with medication, such as an anti-depressant? I know that depression and LBD are often found together, and at least it might relieve some of her sadder moods, which equally might make life living with her easier for you.

I don't know that any of that will help at all. :confused:

bazo

Aug 8, 2013
Southend
Thanks nicoise for your info

We have been offered some anti-depressants however have been told these ones could make mum sleep more, and she hates that and wants us to constantly wake her so no good i'm afraid.

Bazo

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasAAA