What Respite Means To Me......

Floria Tosca

Mar 23, 2015
Nr Doncaster
Hubby went into care home yesterday until 7th May to give me a well earned break. Hard thing to do and felt guilty leaving him, but know that I can't carry on being exhausted.
Family and friends have said stuff like: oooh are you going for a spa day? Why don't you book a break away? etc, etc. Well apart from the fact that I don't want a spa day or a mini holiday on my own (they are all working or have other commitments) I want to stay at home and do normal stuff.

This morning I got up (didn't set the alarm) when I awoke, stripped my bed, naked (as no carer wandering about!). Went into the bathroom without having to take my own towels and toiletries with me, as yesterday afternoon I put my things back into the cabinet and hung my fresh towels on the rails. What luxury, plugs back in the sinks (Which normally are hidden so hubby can't flood the bathroom. Ran hot water without having to go to boiler room to turn it on (Have to turn it off if hubby upstairs because he leaves taps running and empties the hot water tank). Actually had time to defuzz arm pits etc! Went to toilet without having to clean it first! Used the several nearly empty toilet rolls which I can't leave on holder as Hubby wouldn't know where or how to put new one on. Had shower without having to inspect first for poo. :( Left the top undone on my shower soap, oh the luxury.

Went downstairs and opened all curtains and blinds which I normally have to do first thing before carer comes.

Opened some mail and left it on the sideboard which I can't normally do or it disappears or gets ripped up.

Made myself a breakfast of my choice.
Am now sat in chair watching Gino on TV cooking some fish instead of some action movie which hubby likes.

There's hundreds of other little things that most people take for granted in their normal lives but I've come to realise that I don't live a normal life. Today I can do what I like, even though I'm finding it difficult to relax and can't stop worrying about Hubby and hoping he's happy. But I need this normality, even for one week.

I know I'm lucky in that we have carers coming in every day to help hubby with showering and keeping him safe while I do chores, and we live in a beautiful house with lovely views. I am sorry for people who don't have these comforts.

Living with my hubby who has mixed dementia (aged 69) is like living with a 5' 10" naughty child who is physically fit and fights you (and carers) every step of the way.

It's hard and I miss the man I married and the retirement fun we should be having. My heart goes out to all you 24/7 carers. I don't care what these 'text book experts say, if you haven't lived it you really don't have much idea. And of course every PWD is different. My 94 year old father in law with Alz is in the same care home where hubby is and he's much more switched on than hubby. You can have a conversation with him, he can shower etc, he can dress himself, he can cheat at cards and dominoes, none of which my hubby can do.
Anyway, I'm going to have 40 winks now (because I can). Hugs to all. X

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
that's quite a description of all the everyday minutiae that most folk take for granted, @Floria Tosca
I understand your worrying, hope you do get to relax and enjoy just being

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Your description of the extraordinary lengths one has to go to when living with someone who has dementia strikes a chord with me @Floria Tosca. I've taken to locking some rooms just to reduce the amount of stuff that I have to hide/gets moved from place to hiding place. Your respite is well deserved so make the most of it.

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
That sounds so good just doing whatever whenever and however you like@Floria Tosca
(( hugs )) A x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH has recently come back from a weeks respite and oh how I found myself nodding and smiling at your description of things you can do during that week :)

I found that it took me several days to unwind and relax - and then I slept for England!!
I didnt get much done, but I dont care :p

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Hubby went into care home yesterday until 7th May to give me a well earned break. Hard thing to do and felt guilty leaving him, but know that I can't carry on being exhausted.
Family and friends have said stuff like: oooh are you going for a spa day? Why don't you book a break away? etc, etc. Well apart from the fact that I don't want a spa day or a mini holiday on my own (they are all working or have other commitments) I want to stay at home and do normal stuff.

This morning I got up (didn't set the alarm) when I awoke, stripped my bed, naked (as no carer wandering about!). Went into the bathroom without having to take my own towels and toiletries with me, as yesterday afternoon I put my things back into the cabinet and hung my fresh towels on the rails. What luxury, plugs back in the sinks (Which normally are hidden so hubby can't flood the bathroom. Ran hot water without having to go to boiler room to turn it on (Have to turn it off if hubby upstairs because he leaves taps running and empties the hot water tank). Actually had time to defuzz arm pits etc! Went to toilet without having to clean it first! Used the several nearly empty toilet rolls which I can't leave on holder as Hubby wouldn't know where or how to put new one on. Had shower without having to inspect first for poo. :( Left the top undone on my shower soap, oh the luxury.

Went downstairs and opened all curtains and blinds which I normally have to do first thing before carer comes.

Opened some mail and left it on the sideboard which I can't normally do or it disappears or gets ripped up.

Am now sat in chair watching Gino on TV cooking some fish instead of some action movie which hubby likes.

There's hundreds of other little things that most people take for granted in their normal lives but I've come to realise that I don't live a normal life. Today I can do what I like, even though I'm finding it difficult to relax and can't stop worrying about Hubby and hoping he's happy. But I need this normality, even for one week.

I know I'm lucky in that we have carers coming in every day to help hubby with showering and keeping him safe while I do chores, and we live in a beautiful house with lovely views. I am sorry for people who don't have these comforts.

Living with my hubby who has mixed dementia (aged 69) is like living with a 5' 10" naughty child who is physically fit and fights you (and carers) every step of the way.

It's hard and I miss the man I married and the retirement fun we should be having. My heart goes out to all you 24/7 carers. I don't care what these 'text book experts say, if you haven't lived it you really don't have much idea. And of course every PWD is different. My 94 year old father in law with Alz is in the same care home where hubby is and he's much more switched on than hubby. You can have a conversation with him, he can shower etc, he can dress himself, he can cheat at cards and dominoes, none of which my hubby can do.

It

Just WOW! XxxAlice

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
P
OH has recently come back from a weeks respite and oh how I found myself nodding and smiling at your description of things you can do during that week :)

I found that it took me several days to unwind and relax - and then I slept for England!!
Oh Yes my sleeps we’re all night :D

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga

Hi Floria Tosca:

Sounds like a mini vacation in itself. I find the vacations where you can relax & rejuvenate yourself are the best ones for the soul.

Enjoy your much deserved 40 winks.

Sending many cyber hugs back to you.:):):):):)

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @Floria Tosca

You have illustrated so well, just how precious any respite can be. We all have our own requirements and ways to make best use of the time (and freedom?).

It is not until you actually get the opportunity, that you suddenly realise just how much you have had to take on and just how much you have lost (or have had to compromise)?

My wife is 68 (FTD for 5+ years) and seems to be the worst affected out of all the others at both the dementia "activity" morning at the community centre and the day centre she attends one day a week. They are all a lot older than her and like you, I miss the retirement we had looked forward to sharing.

Enjoy the rest of your "me-time".

Kind regards
Phil

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
You have described my life. I spend a lot of time hiding my own things so that they don't disappear, and looking for things that have been moved and then hidden somewhere else. Not quite the retirement activities I'd been looking forward to. I was caught by surprise when this behaviour started and still haven't found my favourite nail scissors!

AliceA

May 27, 2016

That's the spirit! No ambition just rest and breathe. X