What is CHC?

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
Oh my days it’s all as clear as mud! Seems like it’s designed to tie us in knots so none of us can get our entitlements. So glad this topic was brought up though - if just to clarify to myself that it’s not clear to the majority - ha ha!
Thanks to all who’ve inputed, I’m far better informed now than when I googled it!

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
The thing that confuses me is that people with AD can be awarded CHC where the need is designated as primarily healthcare rather than social care and then be re-assessed and have it taken away.

As far as I am aware AD is a condition in which the sufferer continues to deteriorate so this just seems bizarre.

I know a UTI can cause a temporary deterioration but I think getting CHC is a drawn out process so you would not get it awarded for a temporary blip to do with infection.

Someone I know with experience of this said that aggression can contribute to a sufferer being awarded CHC but then if some one is medicated to overcome the aggression then it can be taken away.

I have looked at the Tool where you get A, B and Cs for various behaviours and with my husband I wonder how they would rate him on the falls part. He has had one bad fall where he broke his hip and now I watch him like a hawk, but without this I am certain he would be falling daily.

Also it seems this is yet another part of the NHS where there is a variation depending on where you live.

If I ruled the world once an AD patient had been awarded CHC it would be for the rest of their life

Tre

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Someone I know with experience of this said that aggression can contribute to a sufferer being awarded CHC but then if some one is medicated to overcome the aggression then it can be taken away.

My mum was aggressive in the middle stages, but this passed and she became very calm and compliant, without any medication. That is often part and parcel of the progression of AD.

So I guess if this happens to someone who was awarded CHC, they might say that once the aggressive stage has naturally passed, then that particular health need no longer warrants the previous high score.

Similarly if they were exhibiting unpredictable behaviour, lashing out at others etc, then once their decline in mobility (again a natural part of AD) restricts the impact it has, then I could see it scoring less then too.

I'm not professing to be any sort of expert, btw, or defending the system - I'm just trying to make sense of the anecdotal evidence we hear.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Is there a tick list of how bad they have to be to get CHC? I need to get the GP to refer Mum for it but if she is going to miss by a mile I wont bother starting the painful process.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
There's a checklist which is what they use first before going on to the full CHC assessment and a look at this might help - but there are no guarantees that if the criteria looks applicable here CHC will be forthcoming. In my husband's case, they downgreaded everything.
If you google CHC funding, I'm sure it will come up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407