What if something happens to me, no family or friends close?

velademar

May 1, 2022
So we've had a bit of a scare this week, I bumped my head on a cupboard and had to go to hospital for a scan. All Ok thankfully, just mild concussion. However brought it home to me just how precarious things are. OH with Fronto-temporal Dementia had to come with me as no one to sit in with him (no family close, no neighbors able to help). Hospital were Ok but not very understanding. Brought home how vulnerable we are without support, what if it had been worse? I'm still waiting for social services assessment for OH (wasnt deemed bad enough last time I asked but now on the list) and also waiting for an updated carers assessment for me (things have got worse since the last one, and our carers hub has changed providers so all up in the air). OH doesnt accept his diagnosis (lack of insight is one of key symptoms of this type of dementia) so doesnt understand why he'd need help from someone else. Any thoughts, suggestions or experience any of you have had on handling an emergency, with no family help, so supposing I had to be admitted to hospital or something? sorry to bring this on Christmas Eve, but I'm really worried about this now after this week's experience.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
So we've had a bit of a scare this week, I bumped my head on a cupboard and had to go to hospital for a scan. All Ok thankfully, just mild concussion. However brought it home to me just how precarious things are. OH with Fronto-temporal Dementia had to come with me as no one to sit in with him (no family close, no neighbors able to help). Hospital were Ok but not very understanding. Brought home how vulnerable we are without support, what if it had been worse? I'm still waiting for social services assessment for OH (wasnt deemed bad enough last time I asked but now on the list) and also waiting for an updated carers assessment for me (things have got worse since the last one, and our carers hub has changed providers so all up in the air). OH doesnt accept his diagnosis (lack of insight is one of key symptoms of this type of dementia) so doesnt understand why he'd need help from someone else. Any thoughts, suggestions or experience any of you have had on handling an emergency, with no family help, so supposing I had to be admitted to hospital or something? sorry to bring this on Christmas Eve, but I'm really worried about this now after this week's experience.
Your situation and thoughts resonate with me. We also have no family or friends close by and I have just had a battle with our local Social Services to get their assurance if anything happened to prevent me caring for OH they would help. My advice would be to make sure all services/organisations are well aware of your situation and concerns because it does not help your health if such a worry is continually on your mind.

velademar

May 1, 2022
Your situation and thoughts resonate with me. We also have no family or friends close by and I have just had a battle with our local Social Services to get their assurance if anything happened to prevent me caring for OH they would help. My advice would be to make sure all services/organisations are well aware of your situation and concerns because it does not help your health if such a worry is continually on your mind.
Thank you Anthula I'll do that as soon as things are open again after Xmas x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I suggest anyone who lives alone, especially with a dependent family member apply for a care line and a key safe.

I had this installed when my husband was with me but went into panic mode if I was ill. Our son lives locally but he could have been away or out with friends and if we needed urgent support. the care line and key safe were our safeguards.

Social Services sorted it out for me.

Now I live alone it is just as important. It gives me independence and I know I can summon help if necessary

velademar

May 1, 2022
I suggest anyone who lives alone, especially with a dependent family member apply for a care line and a key safe.

I had this installed when my husband was with me but went into panic mode if I was ill. Our son lives locally but he could have been away or out with friends and if we needed urgent support. the care line and key safe were our safeguards.

Social Services sorted it out for me.

Now I live alone it is just as important. It gives me independence and I know I can summon help if necessary
Thank you that's a great idea ill look into that too x

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Last edited:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Just reading through and all great advice.

I often wonder what would happen if I passed, but there is only so much we can do and so long as we have done what we can, to provide for in such an eventuality there is not much more we can do. I think sometimes we expect more than we should that we can deliver even if we are no longer here -all we can do is the best we can while we exist ;)

MikeFB

Sep 26, 2022
Haywards Heath
Thankfully I have never had an occasion when it was necessary to call for help in an emergency but I totally understand and share other members concerns given their isolated situation . I am 90 and care for my wife of similar age. We live alone and have no family nearby - and are totally dependent on being able to contact ' someone ' for help.
I cannot any longer rely on my wife to act if there was an emergency and the thought is constantly on my mind. Consequently I have registered with
TUVIDA ( emergency carer ) and have recently invested in an emergency alarm system ( as if, to all intents and purposes I WAS on my own ) I only hope and pray that I would still be capable of activating these should the need ever arise ? I would find it so reassuring to hear from someone who has had first hand experience of using these services.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I had a Carer's First emergency card that I carried. In he event anything happened to me the idea was that the ref number on the card would be passed back to CF where they would check the details and ensure my OH was taken care of for the first 72hrs. Ideal in theory and fortunately never used in practice.

jzw01

Jun 12, 2021
In Hampshire contact https://carercentre.com/ . They have a service for carers that gves an emergency backup in the event of the carer having a serious problem. I beleive that they are part of a larger network so similar organisations are available elsewhere.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
You can find if you have a local carers centre on the Carers UK website , I usually put the link up but the site is down at the moment! Or ask your local social services if they issues a carers emergency card. In the meantime, start putting together an emergency plan of what meds you OH is on, where important stuff is kept, useful numbers like the GPs etc, family members and share this with people who could be there in an emergency.
Another useful link is for the Lions Club message in a bottle which is a way to let emergency services know that there is a list of meds and numbers in a safe place , should they need it.
All the best.

velademar

May 1, 2022
Thank you all for this feedback some good tips there this forum is great for support real advice and just feeling that there is someone there to talk to and share feelings with. Sending best wishes and many thanks x

Slipstitch

Jun 17, 2022
Hi Velademar. A while ago I posted a similar question on another thread somewhere because I'm in the same situation. It was really worrying me so from advice received on that thread and elsewhere, here's what I've done in case it helps:

LPAs and will in place (sister, who lives a long way off, is first attorney, solicitor backup); registered with GP and local council as unpaid carer; emergency plan lodged with council (not much of a plan but makes them aware, & contains phone numbers of contacts etc); made a very detailed document setting out where things are in the house, financial arrangements, housekeeping issues etc which I've sent to two friends (I'm not expecting them to step in - they would simply be able to contact people and supply information); a list of every phone number I can garner of people, both official and unofficial, local and distant, who might be of help; found a local person who has worked as a carer who would step in on a paid basis temporarily in an emergency; done a version of the Alz Soc 'This Is Me' document together with a detailed history of my husband's life (I'm the only person alive who knows it now) which, together with a document setting out what help he would currently need, I keep in the house (kept in the house because these docs need updating every now and then and also felt a bit too personal to send out to the two friends - they just know where to find the docs if they need them); joined local support group so people know me and a bit about my situation; finally I wear an ID thing on my wrist which contains info and phone numbers which ought to start off a chain of help if I'm found unconscious somewhere. Also have a 'carer's card' supplied by the council in my purse. I think that's it.

I haven't had a carer's assessment, but will be thinking about asking for one.

You can't possibly plan for every eventuality. I think what I've done would work ok if I was seriously out of commission, probably less useful if I had to have regular treatment for something or was in hospital for a week or so (which was your worry), but it's still good to have all the phone numbers and have made people aware of the situation.

Like you, my OH has no insight into his condition. He is also stubborn and will resist help, and though lots of people know him none of them are close friends. People have suggested slowly introducing a paid carer (making out it's a friend etc). I haven't done that yet, but can see the wisdom of it.

I feel that the problems faced by those of us without family or children as we get older are overlooked by officialdom. So much advice and most of the emergency plan forms assume you have someone willing you could ask to step in, but there must surely be many of us who don't.

So, what I've done is far from perfect but I do feel better for having done it I hope you will too. Good luck with it.

velademar

May 1, 2022
Hi Velademar. A while ago I posted a similar question on another thread somewhere because I'm in the same situation. It was really worrying me so from advice received on that thread and elsewhere, here's what I've done in case it helps:

LPAs and will in place (sister, who lives a long way off, is first attorney, solicitor backup); registered with GP and local council as unpaid carer; emergency plan lodged with council (not much of a plan but makes them aware, & contains phone numbers of contacts etc); made a very detailed document setting out where things are in the house, financial arrangements, housekeeping issues etc which I've sent to two friends (I'm not expecting them to step in - they would simply be able to contact people and supply information); a list of every phone number I can garner of people, both official and unofficial, local and distant, who might be of help; found a local person who has worked as a carer who would step in on a paid basis temporarily in an emergency; done a version of the Alz Soc 'This Is Me' document together with a detailed history of my husband's life (I'm the only person alive who knows it now) which, together with a document setting out what help he would currently need, I keep in the house (kept in the house because these docs need updating every now and then and also felt a bit too personal to send out to the two friends - they just know where to find the docs if they need them); joined local support group so people know me and a bit about my situation; finally I wear an ID thing on my wrist which contains info and phone numbers which ought to start off a chain of help if I'm found unconscious somewhere. Also have a 'carer's card' supplied by the council in my purse. I think that's it.

I haven't had a carer's assessment, but will be thinking about asking for one.

You can't possibly plan for every eventuality. I think what I've done would work ok if I was seriously out of commission, probably less useful if I had to have regular treatment for something or was in hospital for a week or so (which was your worry), but it's still good to have all the phone numbers and have made people aware of the situation.

Like you, my OH has no insight into his condition. He is also stubborn and will resist help, and though lots of people know him none of them are close friends. People have suggested slowly introducing a paid carer (making out it's a friend etc). I haven't done that yet, but can see the wisdom of it.

I feel that the problems faced by those of us without family or children as we get older are overlooked by officialdom. So much advice and most of the emergency plan forms assume you have someone willing you could ask to step in, but there must surely be many of us who don't.

So, what I've done is far from perfect but I do feel better for having done it I hope you will too. Good luck with it.
Hi @Slipstitch thank you so much for this I'll read it properly later on and ask if I've any questions so kind of you to take the time to help xxx

Slipstitch

Jun 17, 2022
No probs. Sorry it's rather long!
I forgot to say I also did the Lions 'Message in the Bottle' (document kept in the fridge for the emergency services in case something happens to me in the house and OH unable to provide info to paramedics).

velademar

May 1, 2022
No probs. Sorry it's rather long!
I forgot to say I also did the Lions 'Message in the Bottle' (document kept in the fridge for the emergency services in case something happens to me in the house and OH unable to provide info to paramedics).
Thank you again for all your ideas, I've a few done already like LPA with solicitors as deputy, message in a bottle, Carers ID and registered with Gp as carer. When we get assessment hopefully soon I will ensure local social services are fully in the loop. Good idea about paid carer being introduced or at least on standby, I will look into this. I have a lady who cleans for me which is a big help and although she knows about my husbands condition and is very kind, she's not paid to help in any other way. Curam has been v recommended to me as a trusted organisation who vets carers on their books so I might start with that. Thank you again, all very helpful xxx