What else!

Mammajan

Sep 11, 2018
After a year of being told oh had vascular dementia, now after a bad lung infection, and sciatica, we have been told he has prostate cancer. Just how much more can a 80+ man take!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Poor man, that is a lot to deal with. Does he have carers coming in to help, as I suspect you will both need help.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
My husband was a similar age when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he was put on three monthly hormone injections which just caused some minor side effects..
Have you had a chance to discuss it through with the medics yet?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
After a year of being told oh had vascular dementia, now after a bad lung infection, and sciatica, we have been told he has prostate cancer. Just how much more can a 80+ man take!

I sympathise @Mammajan Dad aged 88 has had alzheimers for a long long time but only diagnosed in November 2017 followed with a diagnosed of oesophageal cancer in April 2018

Dad's quite happy as he has forgotten about it all anyway. He only finds out when he has an appointment and then forgets again. He is doing remarkably well as he is on palliative care only and all he has had is a number of stents so that he can eat and he is now almost back to his original weight. He has had eight months of good quality life up to now and is looking great although his dementia is worse.

I am not sure about how much more dad can take as he is completely unfazed about it (when he is reminded) he has had four endoscopy's up to now and each time is the first as far as he is concerned. Not sure how much more I can take though.

I am really sorry that you and OH are in this position. You can message me if you want to know more about dads treatment etc

Mammajan

Sep 11, 2018
My husband was a similar age when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he was put on three monthly hormone injections which just caused some minor side effects..
Have you had a chance to discuss it through with the medics yet?
Not yet. I see the doctor again this week. Did the hormone injections give him any relief. My oh is in such pain.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Wishing you all well, these difficulties keep coming. Just remember to care we must take care of ourselves. X