What do i do?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I am just so distressed to see him so agitated

It`s the worst Jan. I think I cried more tears during this period than in all my life. We cried together. The only thing we shared were our tears. xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
It`s the worst Jan. I think I cried more tears during this period than in all my life. We cried together. The only thing we shared were our tears. xx

Thank you sylvia, your words are such a comfort, just knowing i'm not alone in going through this and that there is hope at the other side. He was like an old man today, unsteady and confused.

Thank you again.

Jan x

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Jan, my heart goes out to you, it is really distressing I know. But I'm sure it will get better.

You must be really exhausted from it all. I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thank you Winda. I have just phoned, and he's settled.

Good night. X

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear Jan

Unfortunately it does sometimes get worse before it gets better, this illness completely puts one through the ringers. Like you I couldn’t bear to see dad very distressed, his pain felt like mine and after a bad visit I’d be left reeling for hours afterwards. However the calming meds really have helped and our CH manager said that most people at some point go over a ‘hump’ and find themselves in a much more peaceful place. It’s this transitional period that’s the worst. Also just wondered if R’s increased confusion today is a side-effect from the sleeping pill, they can sometimes cause that in which case as Grannie G says perhaps halving it initially isn’t a bad idea or even trying a different type. Dad takes Zopiclone which seems to work fairly well. If you can wipe today from your thoughts, tomorrow’s a new day and R. could well be on the up again. Look after yourself.

Px

Last edited:

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thanks p, yes r has just been changed to Zopiclon. He had Temazepam for the first two nights, and they decided to change it.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Jan xx

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
That's good Jan, we were told Zopliclone is one of the better sleeping pills and generally well tolerated for those with dementia. Try and get some sleep tonight and yes, here's hoping tomorrow is a much better one for you and R. Pxx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thanks p, your kindness means a lot. It's a lonely place lying in this big bed withour R.

Jan xx

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
I hope you get some sleep Jan. It must be such an awful time. With dementia we lose our loved ones over and over and it takes a little piece of us each time there is a change.
Thinking of you xx
Nanak

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
I know Jan, it’s so hard but when R. bounces back those lonely feelings will fade and you will start to enjoy life again. Xx

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
Hi Jan,

please try and get some rest tonight. as others have said perhaps a change in medication will help with R drowsenes. you know that R is settled tonight so please tey and relax and reserve your energy for the meeting next week.

my MIL has been on an assessment unit for 12 weeks and they have been changing her medication as she was very agitated and had out bursts of physical agression, ow they have found the right medication she is a lot calmer, so there is medication out there so dont give up.

hope your furry friend is cuddled up with you tonight, wish i could have one but have an allergy.

jan1962

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Jan. Thank you for your reassurance that there is a right med for R. I was very distressed last night but rang later and he was still settled.

Today is a new day, and I shall see what it brings.

Thank you, jan x

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Thinking of you today Jan, and hoping things will be better, but it's early days so I wouldn't worry too much at the moment (if possible) .

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Today is a new day, and I shall see what it brings.

Morning Jan,

Yes today is a new day and I hope it brings you some little wonderful surprises to help brighten up the day.

Love

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thank you Helen, Kassy and Winda. Your thoughts much appreciated.

Jan x

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Jan - I hope your day is better. Bear with the time it takes to sort the medication. It can take ages and ages. And it will be slower out of hospiptal because all the blood tests take longer. I don't know if will cheer you up to tell you - but it took months with my mother - but in the end it was much better.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thanks Butter. I can cope if I can see an end and an improvement. I admit, i hate seeing him so disorientated, especially when he begs me to help him.

A new day, and i shll try to be positive.

Thank you butter.

Jan x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
OK, you were right! A new day and a lovely visit today. He was happy, smiling, willing to co-operate with anything I asked.

I washed his hair with special shampoo, and he felt good. I helped him to shave, which his armed guard hadn't been doing, so I did it - not a perfect job, but then this shaving game is new to me!!

We laughed and walked and had a great time.

I shall hang on to that thought for tonight. Thank you to everybody who is contributing - you are keeping me going and I do need your support. I am dreading the meeting next week, but will get through it. If R has to move, then so be it, but I am sad to do that as he is so happy where he is and the personal care is brilliant. HE views the carers as his friends.

He is the toy boy for one of the older ladies there - she tells me she chats to him and today they gave each other a kiss. It almost made me cry to see such warmth and friendship.

Jan x

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Jan that's lovely I am so pleased he has settled, you must feel a lot better now ,

Best wishes from Jeany xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thank you Jeany and Kassy. I'm just enjoying the time tonight, and will face tomorrow, but I too hope tomorrow is good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jan x