What do I do next?

Newanne

May 1, 2010
clitheroe
Well, my husband finally went to Dr was referred to memory clinic got his appointment, (in 2 days). Now he says he's not going, he's not filling in any forms and he's not reading the information they sent. There's nothing wrong with him and once people like THAT get their hands on you it effects all different areas of your life. They have no medication to help and anyway he only forgets the odd thing now and again. 🙁🙁. I tried to explain what I've observed and the few off the wall things that have happened. When I asked if he beleive me he just said, well I know I forget the odd thing. 🫣 Now he's taken himself off for a walk. I just don't know where to go from here, he's getting worse is so many different ways and just refuses to acknowledge it.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I would imagine he is quite scared. I got my mum to go to her GP by telling her they had to rule out any other reasons for her forgetting things.
The thing with a diagnosis is that it helps the carer more than the person who may have dementia. If the memory clinic does make a diagnosis, he may get medication depending on the type of dementia but that is about it. Unfortunately it does not bring any support and people are usually just discharged back to their GP. Not really what you want to hear and I hope other resourceful people will be by soon with what worked for them.

Newanne

May 1, 2010
clitheroe
I would imagine he is quite scared. I got my mum to go to her GP by telling her they had to rule out any other reasons for her forgetting things.
The thing with a diagnosis is that it helps the carer more than the person who may have dementia. If the memory clinic does make a diagnosis, he may get medication depending on the type of dementia but that is about it. Unfortunately it does not bring any support and people are usually just discharged back to their GP. Not really what you want to hear and I hope other resourceful people will be by soon with what worked for them.
Thank you SAP think I'll just see what support, to help me to help him, I can get without a diagnosis. Its hard to cope when the person has no insight and is unwilling. Hope you're coping with your mum. ❤