What are the implications to a nursing home of safeguarding incidents?

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
My title pretty much sums up my question.

My mum has been prescribed 2mg of diazepam to be taken 2pm daily with a further 2mg available as a prn.

The home have given mum the prn for at least a month as a regular night time medication and have admitted that this is an error. The social worker has taken copies of their records and had advised that she expects safeguarding will investigate this further.

In addition when I saw mum yesterday evening there was a tablet on her skirt. I assume it was one of mum's own and not belonging to another resident, so it means that they are not always ensuring she's taken her meds. Sadly this isn't the first occasion. I alerted a nurse who said she would destroy the tablet. I've called the social worker this morning to update her and she said this will be added to the safeguarding incident.

I've googled for information, but I'm not coming up with much. Is this just a slap on the wrist for the home, in which case I cannot see them being too bothered or does this have serious implications?

Should I be doing more about this and if so what? They (the home) are letting mum down I don't want to do similar.

Last edited:

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
Unsafe management and administration of medicine is potentially very serious. You could report this and any other concerns that you have to the CQC - they could carry out an unannounced inspection and place restrictions on the home. This happened to the home my mother was placed in. The CQC carried out an unannounced inspection, and the home was placed in special measures and not permitted to admit other residents until a further inspection had taken place. That was over 6 months ago. The Home has reviewed its policies and procedures and is awaiting a further inspection which I understand will be unannounced. I raised issues with the CQC a few weeks ago ( by email ) and received a telephone call from the CQC inspector the following day. She asked for my permission to forward some of the issues I had raised to safeguarding and said that others would be noted and addressed in the next inspection. She also said that I should not hesitate to report any further concerns to the CQC.