What a complete mess, any ideas please???

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Some of you may recall that OH was taken to hospital in June due to neglect by carers, self neglect and other issues.
He remained in hospital for 13 weeks until his health became stable. He kept having major setbacks because he would not follow the instructions of the medics.

Pre dementia he was always a very stubborn man who felt that he was was the only way.

He was discharged from hospital 10 days ago into a Nursing Home for a 2 week assessment. The hospital social worker has now signed off the case saying that he will now have his own allocated social services social worker. As of yesterday, no one at all has been allocated.

The Nursing Home cannot manage him and have not the staff to keep him safe. They want him out as soon as possible and have told Social Services so.

There is no date or format set for any meetings.

His care needs are complex due to the fact that his dementia is advancing and he also has a stoma which he fails to understand or take any notice of the need to keep his Crohn's under control.

The BIGGEST PROBLEM is that he himself thinks he is fine and well and able to do things, even though he can barely walk without falling over.

He has little strength yet he keeps getting out of the Nursing Home into the garden, walking to exhaustion and then the staff have to bring him back in a wheelchair. He argues with them all the time and will take absolutely no notice of them. He is totally non compliant.

Up until this afternoon his children and I felt he ought to go back to his flat, where he would be happier, even though there were definite severe risks to this.

As an experiment his son has taken him for a walk this afternoon - but he can barely walk and almost fell over twice and returned again in a wheelchair. Even though he knows he is in a wheel chair he keeps saying he is fine on his own and looks forward to riding his bike when he is back at the flat -

This is not the first Nursing Home he has been in - he threatened suicide last year when in a very good supported facility.

It is very surreal - what is fact and what he believes (confabulation???) But what is the answer? The Nursing Home is saying it is urgent that he leaves, but he is not safe in the outside world.

Has anyone come across this sort of situation and is there any answer?

PS Sorry for such a long message!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Are Adult Safeguarding fully aware of the situation?
Yes, the Safeguarding team were put in place when he went into hospital. The hospital social worker was meant to be overseeing an all agencies meeting once he was discharged - but she has now dropped him like a stone, and we are waiting for another social worker......

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
If he was placed 10 days ago for 2 weeks in which time an assessment should be carried out, has this been done? Have the nursing home been told to carry it out or social services been in? I don't know but would have thought the NH should also be urgently contacting social services/safeguarding and plainly telling them he has 4 days left of the agreed placement and SS need to decide where he can go to keep him safe as they cannot. From your description he definitely would not be safe in his flat and must be looked after in a placement that can meet his needs. I hope someone sorts this out quickly.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
If he was placed 10 days ago for 2 weeks in which time an assessment should be carried out, has this been done? Have the nursing home been told to carry it out or social services been in? I don't know but would have thought the NH should also be urgently contacting social services/safeguarding and plainly telling them he has 4 days left of the agreed placement and SS need to decide where he can go to keep him safe as they cannot. From your description he definitely would not be safe in his flat and must be looked after in a placement that can meet his needs. I hope someone sorts this out quickly.
I need to ask about the assessment - I am 200 miles away, but his children are nearby. I assumed that the hospital social worker had arranged the assessment...... need to find out. Thank you for raising this.