Well what now.

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
im lost totally lost, and im sure most of you know exactly what i mean, dad died yesterday hes had dementia for the past 7 years, went down hill bad last few weeks and put ona syringe driver 3 days ago, but we were lucky, we were able to keep dad at home all the time , and sadly died at home, no social care were involved, mainly having one carer for 18 months and just taken on a second carer a few months ago, but because it was my life 16 hours a day 7 days a week im now thinking , How? What? when? and how?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I’m so sorry to read your news @farmgirl
I understand the feelings of how etc. I was the same after my Dad died. I just took baby steps at first & tried to get out in the fresh to walk as it cleared my head.
My thoughts are with you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @farmgirl. I`m so sorry to read about your dad.

It sounds as if he was cared for so well. Just absence of the routine and demands of caring will be difficult for you to adjust to on top of the loss of your dearly loved dad.

Give yourself time now. Do what needs to be done with regard to funeral arrangements and other practicalities and then allow yourself to take life as it comes until you start to heal.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Try not to over think, do what you must. Be kind to yourself, give life time. X

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
So sorry to hear of your loss. There are the formal things to deal with which will keep you busy. Once those are sorted just move forward at your own pace. There are no rules to follow, there will be a big change in your life and you need time to adjust. Wishing you strength for the weeks to come.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
@farmgirl I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

When we lose the loved one we have been caring for it does leave us feeling all at sea as we try to get used to life without being a carer and without the one we love and miss so much.

I found that the day to day organising and form filling that follows a death kept me busy for some months, with little time to really dwell on my loss, lack of routine or focus. Eventually though, the paperwork fades away and there is a big void to fill.

There is no rush to come to terms with this new way of life and it's lack of routine and changed purpose. Baby steps are fine - there is a lot of adjusting to do. Gradually, when you are ready you will know what kind of opportunities and possibilities you want to look for as you move forward - but until then don't be frightened to just rest and heal.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sad news @farmgirl my condolences
I hope it's of comfort that you were able to look after your dad at home
be easy on yourself, maybe think of one small thing you'd like to do each day, a walk, bake a cake, buy some flowers, start reading a book, watch a film in the afternoon ... as others say, a small step at a time

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
I’m so sorry to read your news @farmgirl
I understand the feelings of how etc. I was the same after my Dad died. I just took baby steps at first & tried to get out in the fresh to walk as it cleared my head.
My thoughts are with you.
Thank you , it's such an odd feeling but I still have mum who carnt really be left for long I'm sure I will soon settle down

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
sad news @farmgirl my condolences
I hope it's of comfort that you were able to look after your dad at home
be easy on yourself, maybe think of one small thing you'd like to do each day, a walk, bake a cake, buy some flowers, start reading a book, watch a film in the afternoon ... as others say, a small step at a time
Thank you x

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
@farmgirl - I am so sorry to read of your loss. Sympathy & best wishes - it will be very difficult to remake your life. I can only echo the advice above - 'Be kind to yourself'. xx

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Sorry to hear of your loss. Tough times and many changes ahead. you will get there and it sounds like you did an amazing job x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news @farmgirl. Sending my condolences.

Good advice from everyone. One day at a time. Wishing you strength.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T