Welcome - Technology and other adaptions

rwylie81

Oct 7, 2014
Good evening all

I just thought I would pop on to this forum and firstly say hello.

EDIT _ had to go and remove all the links as i'm a newbee. get in touch if you want any info

My wife and I , for various reasons are living with my 86 year old grandmother. My grandmother has fairly advanced stage of alzheimers.

I just wanted to drop by and share some of the technical things I have put in place, which has made a significant different for both my gran and reassurance from the family:

This is just a starting point and I am happy to discuss anything in detail.

Trucall call screener - stops all the unwanted cold callers. Gran now receives only whitelisted calls. I'd put one of these in every house! My gran was getting furious at the number of call centres phoning. She's had her landline number for at least as long as my 33 years!

Doro 321 HandleEase remote control - this TV remote remote literally has the least amount of buttons ever, volume up, volume down , channul up, channel down, power on, power off, + 1 programmable button. Brilliant. We bought two , one for downstairs tv, and one for upstairs tv (I still get use of the big samsung remote!).

Doro Memory Plus 319ph - Have a google. This is a great , simplified , amplified corded telephone. Works great for my gran with one touch dials. Comes with a keypad cover, so looks like you can only phone 4 pictured people.

Pivotell medication dispenser. Granted this is around the £100 mark, this thing is brilliant for grans medication. if you have once a day medication, you fill this with 28 days of medication and just let it buzz away at the same time every day.

My wife and I both work fulltime, so gran has carers to make her dinner (it's really just heating up food that we prepare), however often gran thinks she's to make her own dinner resulting in some really bad burning incidents with the cooker, oven and even microwave.

The latest adaption that I made was to protect the cooking appliances with key switches. Now, I just want to stress, that we have people put in place for my grans care, and in know means trying to take away her independence but we need to consider her safety...

Microwave - MK make keyswtiches, which I wired into the electrical flex of the microwave. Works a treat. Now microwave can't be switched on without the key. [

Oven / Hob - I am lucky in that my wife's father is a gas engineer, so between us we wired in another keyed switch and gas solenoid valve. Now the oven , gas hob including ignitor is protected by another keyswitch. For those interested, it was a 15mm 240VAC gas solenoid, similar to

Keysafe - for the carers to get in

Freeview - Gran used to have sky, used to have cable, but it was just getting too confusing for her. I'd like to add a sidenote to whoever thought naming a channel ITV3 should be slapped as my gran is convinced ITV3 is channel 3 and not channel 10 ;-) And ITV1 is channel 1, and well BBC 1 , well....

Thanks

Bob