Welcome back! Changes to Talking Point after our update

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
On bell alerts (was flag alerts) unread are no longer indicated by a red dot, the background is grey. Same grey as hovering over read alert.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Site much faster
The 'busy' signal on topbar is now consistently less than a second - just a flicker - used to be 2 to 3 seconds.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I'm not good with change so this confused me today but I'm sure I'll get use to it. It doesnt seem too bad on laptop but I've struggled with using it on my phone today, it seems so small and jumpy when I'm using my finger to scroll through a thread. The up and down icons are probably handy additions but get in the way a bit and I have caught them by accident a few times. The box you type in seems smaller and you have to keep putting finger on screen and dragging it up a bit every few lines and when I clicked on the emoji icon and the drop down menu came on, at first I couldn't figure out how to get the drop down menu back off my screen once I'd picked my emoji, but then I realised I had to tap elsewhere and it went off. I also cant see the recent threads box anymore on my phone it used to be in a box at bottom of page, I need to remember to use= menu and then new posts now but I'm sure I will get used to it . When I looked on this afternoon there was no red circle with a number in for alerts but when I went onto alerts using = menu and then the bell for alerts there were some. I do like the your threads option and threads with your posts options though as sometimes I wanted to go back to an older thread and didn't know how to find them except by clicking on me and going through list of all my posts. The new way of finding a page on a thread is ok too, before if started on a page but wanted to jump a few you could only pick from so many pages at a time but now can click on where says 2 of 22 for example and then it gives option to go to page of choice by typing in number want which is quite useful. Swings and roundabouts I suppose. And to be honest whether its harder or easier to use I'm just so very grateful its here X ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When I looked on this afternoon there was no red circle with a number in for alerts but when I went onto alerts using = menu and then the bell for alerts there were some.

You may have been looking at cached pages and then relauched from browser

The new way of finding a page on a thread is ok too, before if started on a page but wanted to jump a few you could only pick from so many pages at a time but now can click on where says 2 of 22 for example and then it gives option to go to page of choice by typing in number want which is quite usefu

All this is alien to me, it may be unique to mobiles which I don't possess.
For you does it apply to laptop?

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I couldn't sign in on my phone (but I was at work, so didn't have the time to explore); having real problems on my Hudl, usual method of entry, when I click on reply, there is only room to view one line of type, I can't see the thread without moving up or down, and to be honest, it seems to be such a hassle, I can't be bothered. It may be ok on the laptop, so will give it a go this weekend. Like the emojis.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I am struggling with the font size, especially now the reading area seems smaller with the ‘recent threads’ listing down the side rather than at the bottom.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
All this is alien to me, it may be unique to mobiles which I don't possess.
For you does it apply to laptop?
I think it is just on mobile that it does the go to page number -- thing yes, it still seems to list pages in old way on laptop.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I am struggling with the font size, especially now the reading area seems smaller with the ‘recent threads’ listing down the side rather than at the bottom.

Is this on a mobile?
The listing has always been the LH pane for me (laptop only).

On the migration from vBulletin to ZenForo a few years ago I researched similar problems and , by forcing screen aspect ratios, decided that it was down to how DTP decided your system and how to display.

May look back to what I did, Dennis might inspire me!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
you can go to your Profile by pressing on the circular icon at extreme top right of the page
then choose Preferences
one of these is to alter the font size

I use a Tablet and the Recent Threads column is down the right ... I find it a nuisance

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
As it takes me a while to get used to changes which I prefer to work out for myself rather than read hints or tips, my only comment so far is the size of the font in a post.

Is it possible for Admin to increase the default size slightly as even with my specs on, it is very small and hard to read. Not exactly accessible for people with slightly impaired vision.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
you can go to your Profile by pressing on the circular icon at extreme top right of the page
then choose Preferences
one of these is to alter the font size

Well found.
On a laptop 'extra large' takes me back to TP as was

Info on RH pane is fine on a laptop, as said it's down to how DTP detect your system

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Recent threads is nowhere to be seen on my phone. As @Shedrech says it's a nuisance on the tablet. It was much better at the bottom than in the right which only appears when I hold the tablet in landscape. Can't use phone in landscape as all the text disappeares under banners and titles and still no sign of recent posts.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I couldn't sign in on my phone (but I was at work, so didn't have the time to explore); having real problems on my Hudl, usual method of entry, when I click on reply, there is only room to view one line of type, I can't see the thread without moving up or down, and to be honest, it seems to be such a hassle, I can't be bothered. It may be ok on the laptop, so will give it a go this weekend. Like the emojis.

Problem re. the tablet sorted, view in portrait not landscape and the message box appears as before the update:)

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I noticed that too. I know that when you click on the thread you can see the date it was started, but its useful to be able to see when and who by before you open it.

I have just found that I can see the author and start date when my tablet is held in portrait instead of landscape.