Weight loss and Dementia.

Stonic

Apr 9, 2024
Mum had lost a lot of weight prior to going into home with this thdn stabilising. Has been in the home 3 months with her decline since Sept 2023 being pretty quick.
She is on the go 24/7 and has lost 4lb in 10 days. Home are going to seek advice but say she eats well but never stops moving. Weight in last 12 months has dropped from 8st ish to 6st 2.
Cognitive and physical decline is weekly. Home have said she has declined quickly.

Any experience as to what to expect?
I just can not imagine weight loss dropping into 5st area.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Unfortunately dementia does affect the digestive system for some folks. As it was explained to me, the body diverts limited energy to keeping the brain, heart and lungs working, meaning that folks can stop eating, or they keep eating but the food is no longer ‘processed’ properly so nutrients aren’t absorbed.

It’s good that the home are going to follow up, as they do need to exclude other possible underlying causes.

Stonic

Apr 9, 2024
Unfortunately dementia does affect the digestive system for some folks. As it was explained to me, the body diverts limited energy to keeping the brain, heart and lungs working, meaning that folks can stop eating, or they keep eating but the food is no longer ‘processed’ properly so nutrients aren’t absorbed.

It’s good that the home are going to follow up, as they do need to exclude other possible underlying causes.
Thank you.
My feeling is there is no underlying course other than the disease itself and her level of activity eg pacing.
Maybe catastrophising but I do not see how she can continue like this 😪