We made it to a year

Hengell

Jun 2, 2013
Well we have made it to a year since mum has moved in with us and her horrible illness. Have made it with the help of a wonderful husband, tolerant kids who switch off, social service carers daycare and respite. We have had high and lows. Roll on respite next week as we are having a very bad evening with her always happens on a Tuesday and Friday when she comes back from daycare confused, tired, irritable and wanting to go back to her own home. Refusing to take her tablets and goto bed. Friday she is off for respite and when she does Im going to have a few glasses to celebrate a year and see if we can get through another year one day at a time.

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Oh gosh I remember this well. All those in the know told us to send Dad to day care to give us a break but he used to come back SO confused & agitated we did often wonder if it was worth it. He would ask where all the people had gone..... and wanted to go home and it would take us hours to pacify him, even through the night sometimes. Hours without sleep did no-one any good but we did SO enjoy the break too! Mum & I did "normal" things like go shopping & have a coffee so it was worth it but boy we paid for it later!

Enjoy every hour of your respite, you deserve it. You are doing great for your Mum, well done you x

Hengell

Jun 2, 2013
We go through this every tues and fri very vicious, tonight caught her hiding the tablets saying she had taken them. Would welcome any strategies to get her to bed as she refuses to go. We have tried that its more comfortable for her as she has a bad side, that the doctor has said she must goto bed as the tablets can make her dizzy and fall. Also tried that when she falls asleep in chair we have to carry her and we have bad backs, any other tactics welcome. We are running out, i don't like to leave her in the lounge as in her room she has ensuite and so far makes it to the toilet if I leave her in the lounge god knows what will happen.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It seemed to take forever to stop mum sleeping nights on the sofa, now her bedroom looks more like a sitting room. First t.v, electric blanket, the armchair and then finally me. would get mum into bed and we would watch a dvd together. Within the hour she would be asleep and I could leave her room, the first time this happened, I was so happy. I do still have a bit of a problem getting her to go to bed without her dog, but even this problem is slowly being solved. Now mum sits in lounge with me all ready for bed and just as she is falling asleep we go to her bedroom and gets into her bed with no problems, but she does not always stay there!!!!

Have to say though, if mum has had a busy day and is confused, bedtime can be a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head