We dont know what to do! No one will advise us.

JamieF7

Mar 28, 2024
My father was was diagnosed with early onset Altzeimers in 2019. He has declined rapidly in the last 2 years and has all the signs of end of life being close. He is now 62.

He has been in a nursing home for the past year, care home the previous year..

He is bed bound and can barely move, he has not spoken in a year, (occasionally a yes...but im sure he doesn't k ow what he is saying yes to) he doesn't seem to recognise my sister or I any more.

He has started to eat very little, and not taking medicine on occasions.

He recently was rush to hospital for suspected seizure, but it was an sepsis infection die to large kidney stones.

As he is frail, they didn't want to operate on him, but his infection was so bad and the antibiotics were not working, that they has to put him under and surgically put a stent in. He has recovered from the infection and is back in the nursing home. However he is due to have the stones removed in the coming weeks.

They have advised like they did before that he might not wake up from the general anesthetic like he dis for the stent, and we just don't know what to do.

He still has all the other symptoms of end of life altzeimers, but no one is telling us or advising us on what the expectation is. We thought he was going to die a couple of weeks ago, and now the infections gone, we are not sure.

It's causing alot of stress for my family as we are constantly up and down and don't know if the next call is going to be the news. We are all on edge all the time. We are just so lost and no one is telling us how long he has left.

We want him to be comfortable and not in pain, and we don't know if it might be better for him to be in a hospice rather than a nursing home. However I read he needs to have a diagnosis of less than 6 months to live for this.

What do we do? Who is the best people to talk to. The doctors and nurses at the hospital did not give us any answers, and the care home hasnt been very communicative either.

Any advice would be great.

JamieF7

Mar 28, 2024
Has there been a best interest meeting to discuss this?
No not yet. There was mention at the hospital about a PEACE plan. Is this the same thing? They said they would give me or my sister a call about this as we both have POA.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
I think it’s very difficult for healthcare staff to advise as each person is different. Some people can live in a chronic state of ill health for a long time and others decline and pass away very quickly. There’s just no way of knowing.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome.
The peace plan was or it would seem to be an interesting thing to look up on the internet, never heard of it before until now, interesting reading, just saying. Is it still around outside of our (England's) capital city. K