We are going away for a few days

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
You will all probably think I'm off my trolley but Alan and I will be away next week from Mon to Fri because we are going on a canal barge. Alan's son, wife and 2 children invited us to do this last year and I agreed thinking it would be nice for Alan to spend time with the family.

It is now getting close and you will all know that it's impossible to predict the outcome:eek: I am going to let Alan (and myself) have the experience and if the worst comes to the worst we can always come back home because it isn't far away. I think the furthest we can get is Burton on Trent;)

I will miss you all so much but I will take photos for Sticky Pics:D

Love

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Haave a nice time.
I always wanted to take Peg on a canal narrow boat holiday!!
We didn't get there,it's too late now,live for today
Norman

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

Well I for one certainly don`t think you are off your trolley. If I had the opportunity to holiday with Dhiren in this country I would certainly do so.

I have found he is no worse on holidays than he is at home.......saying this, our last holiday was March 2007 and he has deteriorated since then. But I am more relaxed as I have nothing else to do other than be with Dhiren, so it`s a break for me from mundane housework etc.

And you will be with family and also able to get home really quickly.....just in case.

It sounds ideal.......apart from the time of year. On a canal barge in February. :eek:

I hope you have a wonderful time.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Take a few hot water bottles Helen! I hope that you all have a very good holiday together. Some more of our Connie's memory snapshots perhaps.

I'm off myself for two weeks this weekend - not with Ken - wish to goodness it was with him.

xxTinaT

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Nor do I think your off your trolley.

Pleased to read that your both going away with your family, sure your have positive time .

I will miss you all so much but I will take photos for Sticky Pics

We miss you also , be great to see the photos in the Sticky thread when you get back .

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Tina

Where are you going? I would love to go on holiday actually without Alan - does that sound terrible? I would love a holiday where I could have the freedom to be who I am. Going on holiday as the carer, there is little room for self as you know only too well:)

I hope you have a wonderful time - I really do. I feel envious.

Love

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hope you both have a great holiday Helen.

I had my 50th birthday party on a barge - they are a bit like a Tardis - much bigger inside than you think!!

Lots of love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Helen, have a great time.:)

I don't think you're off your trolley either. I took John on holiday for as long as I possibly could -- even after he became incontinent, we managed self-catering. Pack as much in as you possibly can, and take lots of photos.

You'll never be far from home, so can always come back if there are problems.

I'm sure there won't be though, it will be lovely.

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Helen...

That's something to look forward to....:)

It's a great idea...you'll have family around too so may have some relaxing moments for yourself.

I'm sure it will be a success...but as you say..you can always come home if things don't work out.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Don't forget to pack your thermals....along with the hot water bottles.:D

love gigi xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you friends for your good wishes:)

I don't do water bottles but I do like my beanies which you warm in the microwave. Do you think they have microwaves on these barges? Thermals I have Gigi from old canoeing trips;)

I will think of you especially Jan if we reach Burton upon Trent knowing that the place carries a history of you and David meeting - how romantic.

I think I'm looking forward to it a bit now:) I will really miss you all. You are such an important part of my life right now.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

We`ll still be here when you return, waiting for all the news and the pics.
Love xx

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
HI Helen hope you and Alan and the rest of the family have fun,,
I have often peered through barge windows and thought how cosy they looked with wood burning stoves, so sure you will be snug. I love Trevors beanie but left in microwave too long it is very brown and smells awful now.I cannot believe how much I am going to miss yours and Tinas posts am a touch envious but wish you both the best times you can have. Things usually seem to work out better than we expect and you will have family to share the burden,did not mean that as it sounds but you know what i mean.
Tina where are you jetting off to, hope you relax or be energetic which ever is your thing, just enjoy every min so you can relive for us on your return. love Pam..Helen was going to say you might bump into Ken Barlow on the Barge then just remembered that his wife in real life has died suddenly, she was a lovely lady he must be devastated.

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Helen and Alan- ENJOY!!!

Hi Helen
I do hope that you and Alan and your family have a lovely time- We hired a canal boat and took mum on it last August with her two sisters and with her daughter (Ian's sister)- that was the last time that mum saw her daughter:mad:- it was so relaxing:):). Perhaps when Erin is a little bigger we may be able to have a proper holiday on one- certainly gets you away from the rat race?

Love Julie xx

living in hope

Dec 14, 2008
yorkshire
Hi Helen,
I hope you have a great time, I am taking Brian away with the family for two weeks so can understand you being a bit nervous as it gets nearer, I'm the same but am sure everyone will pitch in and we'll have great time as i'm sure will you.
love
lorraine

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Helen,

I know you might get as far as Burton upon Trent, but I' not sure where you're starting from. :confused:

As my front door is a few yards from the Leeds/Liverpool canal I shall wave at every passing barge, in case it's you and Alan. :D

Have a lovely time... and don't go overboard. Sorry, terrible pun :eek: