Water on meter and Mum leaves the tap running ...

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Donkey's years ago my parents switched from non-metered water to a water meter. :eek:

The situation now is one where my Mum may leave the tap on, pouring water down the sink for hours on end. Dad has impaired mobility so he can't keep checking whether the tap's been left on and anyway Mum wanders around the house when he's asleep.

I think I already know the answers here (it's NO) but please - have you heard whether any water company has ever agreed to return a home to non-metered supply to protect the customer with dementia? Has any water company agreed to cancel excess water charges when the water was wasted because of the customer's dementia?

There are such things as taps which cut off flow automatically but I don't think this is an option for my parents - I think Mum couldn't cope with anything new and would probably simply stop washing her hands and brushing her teeth.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Have you actually informed the relevant water company of the special situation in your parents' house? I know some do suggest you contact them if there are special reasons for excess water usage and it MIGHT just be that they will consider this problem.

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
There are also proximity sensor kits you can get to fit in line with your existing taps like the Autotaps one shown here: http://www.autotaps.com/sensor-kit.html.

As I understand it, the water valve is open when the person stands near the sink and the taps operate (almost) as normal. Each kit has only one input and output pipe, so you may need to install a mixer valve under the sink as well. The plumbing looks a bit tricky, so you would probably want it fitted by someone with the right skills.

They are not cheap, but might be worth looking into if you don't get any joy from the water company.

Last edited:

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Thanks for the ideas. First step is to talk over the problem with my parents' water company (have to confess I'm not feeling optimistic), then to try to find out just how much money the tap problem is wasting. Sadly, the most expensive idea is the one most likely to work!

Thanks again ... will let you know how I get on.

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
My friend had the same problem with her dad and she had the taps changed to the ones described above. They were a great success. Its not a very difficult job to change taps and a handy man would be able to do this. My friend's son did the job for her.

Isabella

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
My friend had the same problem with her dad and she had the taps changed to the ones described above. They were a great success. Its not a very difficult job to change taps and a handy man would be able to do this. My friend's son did the job for her.

Isabella

Age UK do basic house jobs for a nominal fee
It's worth checking your local branch if you need taps replacing
Also ,if your father was in the forces , the British Legion have a scheme for doing such jobs for free They have an arrangement with AGE UK if they do not operate in a particular area
jimbo 111

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Jimbo

That's a wonderful idea! Both my parents were in the forces and used to be active members of their particular service's "association".

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Outcomes

Hi all

No joy from the water company (reasonably in view of the circumstances).

As my parents have been water-metered for at least 10 years, the company is most unlikely to agree to changing to non-metering. It's remotely possible that if the account holder approaches them, they'll consider not charging for the excessive water consumption arising because of Mum's dementia. I can try to get Dad to follow up this possibility.

The OT did help. She thought it was possible Mum might be able to cope with new taps ("procedural memory" coming to her aid, plus Mum may remember using such taps in public toilets). She was willing to organise an appointment to assess Mum's capability and provide training in using similar taps.

If you'll forgive the pun, we may have a solution ....

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
May I suggest what we have done with my mother - I put a typed sign in large font and in bold and put it above the taps that merely says TURN THE TAPS OFF. For the most part it works.

On the very odd occasion and before when she did it regularly she then had no hot water (she is on Economy 7) left :eek:

Give it a try it may work and give the least hassle!

Last edited:

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
The layout of the bathroom makes it very difficult to put any sign in Mum's line of sight as she's using the sink ... but "very difficult" isn't the same as "impossible" so will put the idea to Dad. Thanks, SWMBO.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I am just reminded
Are your taps the 'old style' turn the knob type ?????
we used to have regular floods in the bathroom when my wife was alive
We had the taps changed to the type where you just push a handle from one side to the other
My wife suffered with alzheimers but she took OK to this type and the problem of flooded bathroom through leaving taps running stopped

jimbo 111

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Are your taps the 'old style' turn the knob type ?

Yes, so the types of tap that turn themselves off automatically would be quite a change for Mum.

I don't know for sure how much the excess water usage is costing but from what Dad said it may be a couple of hundred pounds over an unknown time period (a quarter?).