Washing hair

Katiebubs

Mar 23, 2022
I am currently looking after my grandma who has dementia, she is becoming increasingly physically and verbally aggressive when assisting with personal care, I have tried so many different things to try and help but I feel like I am at a loss. I have tried picture cards, setting everything up in advance and trying to get her to do as much as possible herself (although this is very little) I have bought inflatable sinks to wash her hair, dry shampoo, shower caps with shampoo and conditioner inside but nothing is working. I used to be able to give her a shower twice a week and a wash on the other day this has now gone to a strip wash three times a week but even this is getting harder due to becoming physically and verbally aggressive, I have tried to assist at different times of the day but nothing seems to be working can anyone please share any tips they may have? Many thanks in advance

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Katiebubs

Do you think your grandma is of the old school who might find it embarrassing having her granddaughter administer personal care?

She might be more responsive to a carer, especially in a uniform resembling a nurse's uniform.

Perhaps you could try to see what would happen.

Katiebubs

Mar 23, 2022
Hello @Katiebubs

Do you think your grandma is of the old school who might find it embarrassing having her granddaughter administer personal care?

She might be more responsive to a carer, especially in a uniform resembling a nurse's uniform.

Perhaps you could try to see what would happen.
Hi! It could quite possibly be this I have managed to be able to help with all aspects of personal care for the last two years but over the last few months she has been more physically and verbally aggressive towards me me and my dad are contacting home care agencies today and are going to take it from there.