Washable "Period" pants for incontinence sufferers?

alb1960

Apr 7, 2022
Has anyone had any experience with using the washable pants (often called "period pants" and sold for menstruation) for people with incontinence issues caused by dementia? (M & S make them, as do many other places now) The adverts seem to suggest that they can also be used for incontinence.
Mum is in a care home, can't get to the loo in time as she is not very mobile, or just isn't aware she needs the loo, and wets herself several times a day. She won't wear pads or pull ups, and I've noticed that the care home just seem to cope by sitting her on an absorbent pad, which means she goes through numerous skirts a day as well as pants. I don't know how aware or embarrassed she is about wetting herself, but I know it bothers some of the other residents in the home. I thought these sort of pants, because they are very like ordinary knickers, might work better, but as they are quite expensive, I don't want to shell out on them if they don't work. I don't think they would be absorbent enough for a full bladder, but they might be some help. Of course, the care home would have to be willing to wash them, but it doesn't seem any worse than washing her urine soaked clothes all the time.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@alb1960 - we looked at various options for my mother, but I just don't think these would be absorbent enough. However, Tena now make incontinence pants that look like knickers (I think you can get either reusable washable ones or disposable), and these may be more acceptable as they look like pants. However, they are not cheap and I doubt they would be supplied by the care home so would end up being expensive.
My Mum went through a phase of being very agitated about personal care, but this did pass. Hopefully your Mum may become more accepting of pads. I found the care home staff excellent at dealing with these sort of issues.

https://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/shop-by-brand/tena-incontinence-products/tena-pants.html - other brands are available.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't think they would be absorbent enough for a full bladder, but they might be some help.

What would be the point if they are unlikely to work for a full bladder @alb1960

Have staff in your mum`s care home complained to you? I would be surprised if they have because they are used to incontinence and manage it as well as they can.

It does sound as if you are the one worrying about this more than others. Perhaps you are embarrassed others will find your mother`s incontinence offensive or you are upset and trying to protect your mother's dignity.

If your mother is unaware of the distress she is causing you and the care home staff are managing the situation I would ask you to stop worrying. I know it`s hard and you want to do your best for her but sometimes there is no solution to distressing situations.

It`s tough and I feel for you.

alb1960

Apr 7, 2022
When I say mum isn't too aware of it, I don't mean that she isn't aware at all - she often takes off her pants if she feels like she wants to go to the loo, but can't get there by herself so she wets herself anyway. She will then sit there in a wet skirt until someone notices, or take the skirt off as well. It seems to me that she is uncomfortable, but isn't always aware of why. It also often means that she can't so easily join in with group activities, which she enjoys, as if she has an accident they then take her away to sort her out - which can take quite a while - and by the time they have changed her the activity has finished. I just wanted to know whether anyone had any experience of these particular pants, and whether they helped at all, as I am quite sure she would want me to try to think of ways of protecting her dignity if I can.

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
We tried some incontinence specific washable underwear from Kyliekanga and PS Healthcare which had a built in pad as well as a waterproof liner. Various absorbencies were available up to 400ml and in some cases the pad was the same colour as the underwear, making it's purpose less obvious. However, not all of them could be tumble dried which might make them unsuitable for use in a care home.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
When you say she won't wear pull-ups, might she accept them if you told her 'the doctor says you must wear them because they are padded so you'll be more comfortable when you sit...' or even 'everyone is wearing these now - I do!'

Sometimes it just takes a bit more persuasion. It would be worth trying the different types of pull-ups - there are many different ones on the market now.

Sooner or later, I think the care home will just put her in pads + net pants as this is how most end up. (Same in hospitals.) Your mum will either get used to it or stop noticing....

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
What would be the point if they are unlikely to work for a full bladder @alb1960
They are designed to be used whn ona menstrual period. the fluid loss is a lot less.

My mother didnt need inco products ( Er hum....) so I used to put the pull ups inside the large black ordinary pants and pull the whole lot up in one go

( if she didnt see it, is wasnt happening kinda approach)

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
When my husband needed something as he couldn't get to the toilet in time. I just produced the pull-ups and said matter-of-factly, , ' I've got you some new underpants.' I never call themamything else to him and he accepts them

alb1960

Apr 7, 2022
We tried some incontinence specific washable underwear from Kyliekanga and PS Healthcare which had a built in pad as well as a waterproof liner. Various absorbencies were available up to 400ml and in some cases the pad was the same colour as the underwear, making it's purpose less obvious. However, not all of them could be tumble dried which might make them unsuitable for use in a care home.
I think this is probably the deciding factor, as I am sure they would need to be tumble dried. Back to the drawing board, and the attempts to persuade her into pull-ups (or rather to persuade her not to take them off at the vital moment) !

Breeze21

Apr 8, 2022
Has anyone had any experience with using the washable pants (often called "period pants" and sold for menstruation) for people with incontinence issues caused by dementia? (M & S make them, as do many other places now) The adverts seem to suggest that they can also be used for incontinence.
Mum is in a care home, can't get to the loo in time as she is not very mobile, or just isn't aware she needs the loo, and wets herself several times a day. She won't wear pads or pull ups, and I've noticed that the care home just seem to cope by sitting her on an absorbent pad, which means she goes through numerous skirts a day as well as pants. I don't know how aware or embarrassed she is about wetting herself, but I know it bothers some of the other residents in the home. I thought these sort of pants, because they are very like ordinary knickers, might work better, but as they are quite expensive, I don't want to shell out on them if they don't work. I don't think they would be absorbent enough for a full bladder, but they might be some help. Of course, the care home would have to be willing to wash them, but it doesn't seem any worse than washing her urine soaked clothes all the time.
I use Modibody pants for my hubby who has a similar problem and find them really good and they look just like normal pants and can quickly be washed and dried