1. Callandergirl

Callandergirl Registered User

Apr 23, 2013
    My husband has taken to going on the bus to our local town, 18 miles away, not just one return journey but 2 in the one day, followed by at least 2 walks! Next week we are
    going on holiday to the scottish islands and I don,'t know if I'll be able to contain him. I've spoken to our ,GP and Cpn who advised him to come off the aricept and they'll talk about alternative meds to calm him down, but not for next week. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem having had this experience. We now think he has frontotemporal dementia , not Alzheimer's.::)

2. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    I have just had a call from the police who had to search for my husband when he managed to get out of the day centre today. He is a wanderer too and recently had a bad fall when he went out without me. It is a huge problem with certain AD sufferers and difficult to prevent.

They have made him an "at risk" person and will pass this on to social services who as far as I am aware no longer finance tracking devices. I will discuss with them the best one and pay for it myself.

Good luck with your Dad.

3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    We got a tracking device through social services but they only help so much, if he manages to get on a fast-moving bus or train. Will you have anyone else with you on your holiday to keep an eye on him?

4. Callandergirl

Apr 23, 2013

We had a visit from a social worker re a tracking device last week, and because we live in a rural area which can cause difficulties, she's investigating for us and arranging a trial before we sign up. However she hasn't gotten back to us. I just need him to be able to slow down and stop wandering about. I can see me circumnavigation these islands every afternoon. Thank you for reading my post.

5. Callandergirl

Apr 23, 2013
    Hi Beate, No I'll be on my own. I'll just have to drive a lot. A restful week - NOT!!