Walking walking walking

Skimmer65

Jul 4, 2024
My brother in law is in the middle of test results and we are waiting to see what he is diagnosed with. However, he cannot sit still. He’s on so many meds for depression, anxiety, dementia, schizophrenia, heart meds, blood pressure, cholesterol, you name it. Is constant walking a sign of dementia or Alzheimer’s and is there anything we can do to calm him?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Skimmer65.

I’m sorry to read about your brother in law. I think many members will recognise the constant walking you describe.

There’s some information here. You might find it interesting.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I recognise it @Skimmer65. My mother walked the corridors of her care home all the time.

On one visit I found her strapped into a chair. I wouldn`t have minded except for the very guilty behaviour of a new carer who ran out of the room when I appeared, to find a senior member of staff.

It was no different to wearing a seat belt in my opinion and it was for my mother`s safety.

My mother had none of your brother-in-law's other illnesses Skimmer65. Just Alzheimer`s.

potholepicker

Jul 5, 2024
My brother in law is in the middle of test results and we are waiting to see what he is diagnosed with. However, he cannot sit still. He’s on so many meds for depression, anxiety, dementia, schizophrenia, heart meds, blood pressure, cholesterol, you name it. Is constant walking a sign of dementia or Alzheimer’s and is there anything we can do to calm him?
My dad would pretty much never sit if we didn't tie him in recliner with bed sheet. Some days it's not safe for him to walk so much due to blindly walking into things staring straight down. It's help to sit beside him and talk to him to try and get the thought of having to in his words "get up there and help them" out his mind. We also have to medicate unfortunately some days. Not everyday is the same and no two people are with this disease. Stay strong.