Walking Sticks and Hearing Aids

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Just letting you know that dad is still without his hearing aids but now he is playing the same game with his walking stick when he hasn't walked off with someone else's! Today I planned to take dad out but I can't find his walking stick so the carer goes to look for it in the toilet. He seems to know where he is likely to find it because the toilets have been renovated and those people suffering from dementia have been even more confused.

Anyway the carer says it's not there so it may be in his room. I go back to dad then I notice resident M with two sticks (Lovedadbut I hope you read this)! I go up to her (she has Alzheimers) and she says it's not hers. The carer says dad must have left the stick in the toilet and resident M went into the toilet and decided walk off with it!

MaNaAk

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yup, it happens all the time!
Im glad you got his stick back. I used to joke that mums walking stick was well named because it was always walking off!

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Replacing hearing aids Is a real problem. It takes so long for the audiologist to call round and get new moulds. Mum's been waiting a month so far. I worry how long it's going to be before she loses them again. It's harder in the CH when you cant hear what's going on around you. I dread to think what happens if it's teeth that get lost.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Hello Everyone!

Just letting you know that dad is still without his hearing aids but now he is playing the same game with his walking stick when he hasn't walked off with someone else's! Today I planned to take dad out but I can't find his walking stick so the carer goes to look for it in the toilet. He seems to know where he is likely to find it because the toilets have been renovated and those people suffering from dementia have been even more confused.

Anyway the carer says it's not there so it may be in his room. I go back to dad then I notice resident M with two sticks (Lovedadbut I hope you read this)! I go up to her (she has Alzheimers) and she says it's not hers. The carer says dad must have left the stick in the toilet and resident M went into the toilet and decided walk off with it!

MaNaAk
Dad's record of carrying..not using...sticks was 4! The approach I had to use with dad as he always said all were his which I found worked most of the time was not to confront and say they weren't his but instead ' oh thank you dad for finding and looking after my walking stick/glasses/slippers' and then rather like the dice under the glass game/crackerjack struggling to hold the increasing number of cabbages game...people of a certain age will remember......find something else for him to hold to distract whilst he changes hands remove the offending item and hide behind your back or a curtain :D by which time he was more confused than ever and didn't realise he was becoming compliant! The memories have just flooded back.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
MiL went for respite last year, the home had a decorated walking stick/frame competition.
Everyone knew which was theirs!

Bod

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I think this would be a good idea for all care homes to do this and maybe they do the same with clothes.

MaNaAk

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
It's a good idea however dad's determination to claim his and everyone else's as his own would not have been deterred as it was the stick not the style or decoration that he would have focussed on. Same with glasses...I once was called to the NH as he had a nasty fall and was asked into the ambulance to try to calm him from agitation so they could do obs before setting off..his own specs were mens black frames...he was wearing a rather attractive pink pair with diamonte much tò the paramedic's amusement ...I knew who's they were and returned them...the lady resident in question had dad's in her pocket picked up from wherever he had left them!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I'm so sorry but that I found a ladies cardigan on dad's room and I am now suspicious as to how it got there. Also I wonder who has picked up dad's hearing aids in the past!

MaNaAk