Walking and Traffic when living with Dementia

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I’ve just been trying to make another video recording about “walking and the traffic” but there is so much noise in the house that I just can’t get it right so I will have to try again another day.

What made me want to do the video is that whilst Sumi and I were out for our early morning walk Sumi said that I was becoming extremely anxious, jittery, frightened and losing my balance and especially as any oncoming traffic approached us.

She said that every time a car or motorcycle approached us my walking would start faltering from side to side as if not knowing which way to move and then I would suddenly just freeze on the spot as if waiting for the vehicle to hit me, I said to Sumi (I know) that’s exactly what I am thinking as now I can’t judge the speed of any vehicle so to my mind and my deteriorating reflex action they are all going excessively fast and about to hit me so I get extremely thrown off balance as to which way I should be moving to get out of the way, so I’m starting to get the feeling that not only am I a danger to myself when walking but also to other traffic!

I have very much the same problem when trying to cross from one side of the road to the other side, quiet often after a lot of legs to and fro hesitating movements I get to the middle of the road but then with the traffic whizzing both in front and behind me I just freeze on the spot so much so that in the end Sumi is having to almost pull me across the road.

So if as a person who has any type of dementia you go out alone then take care when walking as our judgment can become extremely impaired…

Barry ©

Me Jan 2009 020.jpg

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I'm sorry to read about your "road" problems. Whilst I don't have dementia, I can understand how scary it must be.

I know my husband was scared of many things involving the road. When I was driving, he always thought that the cars coming the opposite way were going to hit us. That must be terrifying.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you for the reply (jan s) and yes I also know that problem as I've not driven for the past ten and a half years "BUT" even though I am the passenger my mind, body and limbs still think that I am the driver of the car.:eek::eek::eek:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Barry, as often with your posts I see something of dad's situation in what you write - and it helps me understand his worries. I will not be so dismissive of his unease near traffic and his gasps when I am driving - so much to learn.
He can't explain for himself so it's kind of you to take the time and make the effort to say how it is for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B