Waking care

Littleanna

Feb 12, 2024
I’ve posted before about my dad sundowning most of the night, he lives in his own with 4 x day carers but essentially he needs help at night. He takes off his pad once the carer leaves and consequently the bed is wet every night, I have literally everything waterproof but he’s taken to removing that as well. He mops himself up with clothing so the washing daily is untenable.
Social services won’t help with waking care and we can’t afford what the care agency charges as he has no savings. He owns his own flat so I was wondering if SS would consider putting a charge on his flat just like they would if he was in a care home. Has anyone had similar?
What can I do ? I’m at a loss as to how to manage this issue … is private care cheaper? Seems like going into a home is the only option and there is no guarantee they would manage him there! He’s no problem at all during the day

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
As I understand it, the property is disregarded when assessing financial status if care is being given at home. Local authorities won't be likely to fund waking night care as this is likely to cost them around £250 per night - so if they assessed him as having that need, they would probably suggest a care home (and take the assets of his estate before helping with funding) Social Services do have a duty of care to your Dad and I dare suggest that you step back for a couple of days and leave the day carers to deal with the results of his night time activities - that way there will be 'proof' of his night time needs. Very difficult to actually do of course. The right nursing/residential home would be able to manage his needs and it will be quite par for the course for many f them. Would you maybe consider sending your Dad for a weeks 'holiday' or respite to a care home so that they can evaluate him as well?
I'm really just thinking out loud so please feel free to ignore any of my ideas!

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @Littleanna , one of the reasons my husband is in a Nursing Home is due to his night time behaviour. I was told they would never fund the waking night carers as he would still need a daytime care package and it would be almost double the price of a Nursing home.
You will need the right home as my husband was turned down by loads as the staff levels are lower at night and its more difficult to manage a wakeful resident.
Sadly you cannot sedate this type of behaviour out, its a phase of their disease. I agree with @Sonya1 that respite might help Social services look at his actual needs as they seem to disregard family information.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
My MIL ended up in a care home (and really liked it and flourished there actually) because of her night time wakefulness - and she wanted FIL to be up with her too - poor man. She was more than manageable during the day. Social services would not countenance paying for overnight care in her own home and would not consider a care home place until a "full package" of 4 x carer visits per day was shown not to be working. The fact that 4 care visits a day was not going to solve the problem didn't matter - they had their protocol to follow.

Littleanna

Feb 12, 2024
My MIL ended up in a care home (and really liked it and flourished there actually) because of her night time wakefulness - and she wanted FIL to be up with her too - poor man. She was more than manageable during the day. Social services would not countenance paying for overnight care in her own home and would not consider a care home place until a "full package" of 4 x carer visits per day was shown not to be working. The fact that 4 care visits a day was not going to solve the problem didn't matter - they had their protocol to follow.
It’s so difficult isn’t it as my dads ‘last visit’ is pointless as all the carers do is change his pad, this would work if he remained in bed but he could be up 5 mins after they leave to start his night time wandering and he removes the pad

Littleanna

Feb 12, 2024
As I understand it, the property is disregarded when assessing financial status if care is being given at home. Local authorities won't be likely to fund waking night care as this is likely to cost them around £250 per night - so if they assessed him as having that need, they would probably suggest a care home (and take the assets of his estate before helping with funding) Social Services do have a duty of care to your Dad and I dare suggest that you step back for a couple of days and leave the day carers to deal with the results of his night time activities - that way there will be 'proof' of his night time needs. Very difficult to actually do of course. The right nursing/residential home would be able to manage his needs and it will be quite par for the course for many f them. Would you maybe consider sending your Dad for a weeks 'holiday' or respite to a care home so that they can evaluate him as well?
I'm really just thinking out loud so please feel free to ignore any of my ideas!
I think part of the problem with me is because my dad is easily managed during the daytime I sort of feel he isn’t ready for a care home but his nighttime confusion, wandering ( thankfully not out of the property) and incontinence is just so very very tiring, my biggest fear is making the decision to place him in care and then they don’t manage his incontinence either and he’s wandering around in wet clothes

Littleanna

Feb 12, 2024
I am thinking of trying respite whilst I’m on holiday although the care home suggested I should be around but I’m also trying to put this off ad I’m worried that it may make him more confused when he returns home? I wanted to use respite as a last resort and then maybe leave him there if it works.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Littleanna

You should be able to find a care home that can deal with his night time wandering and also with his incontinence, although it will probably have to be a dementia unit/home. Any place you are considering, you need to tell them about this to make sure they can deal with it.

Respite is intended to be just that - to give the carer a break, not just as a last resort, although the fact that you are posting on here says to me that you are getting pretty desperate. Not being able to sleep at night is most carers line in the sand