1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Waking and dressing in early hours

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by hondaracer, May 27, 2019.

1. hondaracer

hondaracer New member

May 27, 2019
    Hi, I'm a new member so please excuse if I get the system wrong.
    My wife has Alzheimer's Late Onset and I care for her obviously because I love her. Recently I awoke to find my wife fully dressed and sitting on edge of the bed at 2.30 am ish. It is hard for me to work out why and if I ask the wife she gets cross because she has no idea it is early morning.
    Has anyone else had the same situation and how do I cope with it?
    Hondaracer

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello @hondaracer. Welcome to Talking Point.

Many of us have been in the same situation. It`s because of the lost concept of time which is common in people with dementia. Some are not even able to be guided by it being daylight or dark.

It`s why so many people with dementia who live alone phone their family or friends in the early hours. They have no idea they are causing a disturbance.

My husband used to get up at all times of the night and I got so used to it I had to leave him be. It was very worrying but there was little else I could do.

I hope you continue to post on the forum and share your concerns. There will be a lot of support here for you.

3. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    Very very common. In the first few years this was a nightly occurrence with my husband who would get up and make a packed lunch and set off for work. At that stage he wouldn't get far as he didn't know where work was. He had been a house builder so moved around rather than having a fixed place to remember. For the carer it is torture trying to find a way to convince them - it can't be done. I eventually went to our GP who didn't hesitate to prescribe Zopiclone 7.5 mg sleeping tablets. They stop working after a while but the aim is that by that stage the new sleeping pattern is set.

4. hondaracer

hondaracer New member

May 27, 2019
    Hi Grannie G. Thanks to you and others for such prompt replies to my post. I take in your replies and thought I was alone experiencing this situation. My wife is yet to receive meds but I hope when they are prescribed it will help her overnight. I need my sleep because I have Lymphoma and tire easily, therefore I used to have 9 hrs sleep but not any more!!

5. hondaracer

hondaracer New member

May 27, 2019
    Thanks Marionq I guess I am not alone then. Brilliant forum it has eased my worries today.

6. rhubarbtree

rhubarbtree Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    North West
    Hi Hondaracer,

My OH did this in the first few years of Alzheimer's. My explanation (to myself) was that all his working life was dominated by the alarm going off and remembering that fear when he had forgotten to set the damn thing. On waking he would fly out of bed and start dressing. This did stop for OH and now I have trouble getting him up in the mornings.

Welcome to the site. It is a strange sort of comfort to find others are experiencing the same problems as yourself.

7. hondaracer

hondaracer New member

May 27, 2019
    Thanks rhubarbtree, thankfully we had a better night last night although me being on tenterhooks woke at 2.30am and my wife was fast asleep and I realised I woke her when I got up to go to the bathroom. I made a cuppa and she settled down again and she had a good night really compared to other nights.
    Hope it continues.

8. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    I also had this with my husband for a few months/years. Fingers crossed (!) at the moment we seems to be getting through the night without this - most nights. How did we get over it? Not sure - may be just the progression of the Alzheimers - he does seem more tired and more confused now- but I also did the following: moved to a different bedroom (so I didn't disturb him), bought blackout curtains for his room and removed distractions, accepted that day and night would match natural day and night length time depending on the time of year, made sure that he had a good walk outside during the day and was as tired as possible (thin line that one since tiredness increases agitation) when he goes to bed, avoided alcohol and reduced caffeine during the day and avoided eating near bedtime. I also put motion sensitive lights on his route to the bathroom to help him there and back during the night. Who knows what - if any of this - worked!! ?

9. HilaryS47

HilaryS47 Registered User

Mar 29, 2015
    Sunderland
    Hi everyone!
    I am very new to this so please forgive errors. My husband has mixed dementia, Alzheimer’s and vascular. He has similar problems, not being able to tell the time, going in the shower as soon as he is awake. Also he hates me to be asleep if he is awake and will deliberately bang doors to wake me up. If I nod off on the sofa he wakes me to make a cup of tea. I am exhausted!

10. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    Hi / and sympathies. I think you should also think of introducing some care to give you a break. I pay for a few hours a week and couldn’t manage without it. Now beginning to think of residential care ..... Anyway sympathies ☺️Lots of people in the same boat here.