Waiting on Diagnosis

Sharon143

Jun 25, 2023
Morning, my name is Sharon (58) and my husband Patrick (68) was seen by doctor in Dec 2022 got score of 63 on test. Seen Dementia clinic in April, accessor came 5 weeks ago waiting on outcome. But Patrick has no empathy, no apathy, cannot remember old houses, past friends, holidays. Missing understanding of lots of words, they just do not exist. Very repetitive, OCD in eating times, what he eats. Fills in blanks with his own stories. Forgets conversations you have within an hour. Drinks too much alcohol, obsessed with smoking and driving. Getting concerned about his driving, but he says he is fine. Started taking photos of car to see if any new scrapes.
Just wanting confirmation, as not coping with the totally alien person who I am now living with.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Sharon143 and welcome to our supportive and friendly community. I am sorry to hear about your husband. Getting confirmation of his diagnosis will be helpful in planning ahead and understanding likely care needs. If you haven't already it may be worth applying to your local social services for an adult needs assessment for him and a carer's assessment for yourself. In terms of finance and future decisions on healthcare, setting up Lasting Power of Attorney would be a great idea. I enclose some useful links, including one about driving and dementia.

There's a lot to take in but try not to feel overwhelmed. Come back here with any questions or issues and we will try to help.