voting

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello lostflower

If the home is in a different area she will get her voting papers there. I would ask at the home.

If the home is in the same area and your mother has capacity you can fill in the form and she can sign it.

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
You could ask the care home. Where my mum is they dealt with all the paperwork so that residents could vote, although my mum wasn't interested.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
I understand if mum has capacity then voting is allowed however if no capacity, ch / nh`s register their residents with local authority. Voting is usually not allowed for local elections but should be for general elections. Please speak to the home manager and your local authority. Best wishes

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Once I informed the council that my husband had dementia to allow for the 25% discount, his name was removed from the electoral list, so he had no vote.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks for posting the link ASH74. It looks from the thread as though not all LAs, carers and care homes are aware of this.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I understand if mum has capacity then voting is allowed however if no capacity, ch / nh`s register their residents with local authority. Voting is usually not allowed for local elections but should be for general elections. Please speak to the home manager and your local authority. Best wishes

Am a bit :confused: someone can have their vote taken away for local election but not for general? Well that defies logic.

Sorry, hadn't read the about link posted by Ash which contradicts above quote.

Last edited:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Once I informed the council that my husband had dementia to allow for the 25% discount, his name was removed from the electoral list, so he had no vote.

That shouldn't have happened Saffie.

It does perhaps demonstrate ignorance about dementia on behalf of the council

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarySpindleberry