Voice change

pinkwizard1

Oct 9, 2017
Mum had always had a very soft gentle voice, particularly in the last 20 years or so, it's almost been so we can hardly hear her. This past 48 hours it has changed and is strong, not shouting but loud and determined. She's in the moderate stage of mixed dementia, any thoughts anyone please? Thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @pinkwizard1
I have noticed with dad that his voice can be very different on different visits - sometimes he's very clear and talking almost as he used to, but that takes effort so on his bad days he's very quiet as in doesn't speak much at all and his voice is low and shaky - I just took this to be a reflection of his condition each individual day
though that's different from what you describe - maybe your mum has found some energy or concentration - or is back in her reality to when she had a stronger voice
sorry - just thoughts; no answers

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I found with dad his voice fluctuated and could be unpredictable....pre dementia.always a gently spoken man who rarely raised his voice...his voice and tone could range from what I called his little boy whisper am feeling sad and need protecting voice to face and voice from The Exorcist! I put it all down to dementia and his voice and face expressing how he felt as he couldn't coherently verbalise. Mind you first encounter with The Exorcist face and voice at 2am out of the blue was very frightening!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I feel that may be an expression of frustration due to a feeling that she cannot express herself well enough to be heard or that no one is listening. Are there any associated clues in her body language. About a week ago my wife seemed to talk nonsense and was asking about a 'meruder' - her body position led me to guess that she was asking if she could use the 'computer', and this turned out to be correct.

pinkwizard1

Oct 9, 2017
Thanks everyone, Mum's not showing any signs of agitation or stress so I can't say it's that. Just her voice is now completey different to the past. I can see absolutely no rationale but hey ho, at least I can hear her now

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T