Visiting the family home

flora

Feb 24, 2011
Hi , my 92 year old father has mixed dementia and has recently moved into an excellent Residential Care Home. He has been there almost 1 month and appears to have settled in very well. I live in a different country so the day to day falls very much on to my sister. I have spoken to my father and care home staff regularly on the telephone. I am planning to spend a week visiting him soon and will be staying in his previous home. I wonder what the recommendation and advice is regarding my father visiting his former home, to choose furniture and mementos to take to his Care Home and also for him to celebrate his birthday. I would very much appreciate your advice. Thaanks.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you want him to settle in the care home then it's best not to take him back to his old home as that is his past, and will just confuse him. Im sure you can choose some stuff for him. :)

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If you want him to settle in the care home then it's best not to take him back to his old home as that is his past, and will just confuse him. Im sure you can choose some stuff for him. :)

+1 from me.
At this stage he does not need to go anywhere outside the Care home, it will just deeply unsettle him.
Do not even mention where you are actually staying, that will upset him. Small hotel/B&B is enough of an answer.
Been where you are now, got the tee shirt. It took a few months before my father settled in his Home.

Bod

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi , my 92 year old father has mixed dementia and has recently moved into an excellent Residential Care Home. He has been there almost 1 month and appears to have settled in very well. I live in a different country so the day to day falls very much on to my sister. I have spoken to my father and care home staff regularly on the telephone. I am planning to spend a week visiting him soon and will be staying in his previous home. I wonder what the recommendation and advice is regarding my father visiting his former home, to choose furniture and mementos to take to his Care Home and also for him to celebrate his birthday. I would very much appreciate your advice. Thaanks.

When my mother-in-law went into full time care, my husband and I chose some ornaments and photos for her room . Nothing of any value, I might add. We never took her out of the home it would have been too confusing . We wanted her to realise that the care home was now her only home.