1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Views on home care for loved one with dementia?

Discussion in 'Researchers, students and professionals' started by AHB, Aug 22, 2015.

1. AHB

AHB Registered User

Aug 22, 2015
    I'd be be pleased to know anyone's experiences on finding and using home care agencies for your loved one with dementia.

2. doodle1

doodle1 Registered User

May 11, 2012
    Hi there and welcome to TP
    I care for both my parents with dementia and we have full time care in their house . I live half a mile away.it can be a rocky road - I started with one agency who couldn't cope with mum ,moved onto daily home care for meds ,then due to a combo of mum breaking s hip and dad driving into literally the hospital ( up to his windscreen) with a heart attack moved onto full time home care. Due to the timing of all this ( pre Xmas) the agency I then chose could only do two week stints. This didn't work as it took 10 days out of the 14 for mum to settle. So I moved into the third agency who have been great - I have been with them 18 months now.
    My advice would be - ask how long they expect a carer to stay,what are contingency plans if it doesn't work out,then this one is critical WHY is the carer doing this? - if they are doing it to fund a sick husband,daughter thru uni that is great,beware of those doing it to travel the world!,
    I pay £595 to the carer and £140 per week to the agency.i also pay £130 per week in relief care for the two hours that the carer needs off per day.
    Having said that I still order all food and visit 3-4 times a week and do all critical stuff eg memory clinic visits.
    Hope this gives you an idea xxx